M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saving there a$$

They are all true and accurate velocities for the rifle that they were fired in. You don't think those guys make up the numbers, do you?

YMMV., but that's a completely nuther thing.
Because of law suits some may over/under state max. So no I do not trust there print. That is why I'm asking what other reloader's have found too be there most trusted manuals.
Vern

·
Rest in Peace
908 Posts
Lacking real evidence that any of the manuals over/under state, I remain unconvinced.

Manuals are nothing more than guides. I may not be a typical handloader but I probably have at least 15 different manuals. I'd be hard pressed to find duplicate data except by coincidence. But, just to satisfy my curiosity, how would a shooter/handloader know which data is "true to life" and which is not? And, in the end, any such opinions would be anecdotal at best.

Ray

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
I don't believe that there are any intentional inaccuracies, there is no reason for them to understate or overstate the velocities (if they lied then they would have no credibility in a liable case) but quite often a shooter doesn't understand the differences between their load/rifle and the ones that the gun companies used. If there is any difference between your rifle/cartridge/weather conditions then you will see different results. Check the information in the front of the load section you are using, it will usually list the firearm and the cartridge components that they used when they developed the load.

I prefer Hornady's reloading manual because they have a section that lists loads that were developed in a M1A rifle.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Lyman

Speer, Hornady, Nosler, etc all use their own bullets, Lyman has no axe to grind as they don't make bullets, primers, powder, or cases.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Over the past 50 years, I've bought just about all, Lyman, Sierra, Speer, Nosler, Lee, NRA, and P.O. Ackley. I started out with and still refer to my 41st and 42nd Lyman editions. My 'go to' book is the Lyman 49th edition. The Lyman manual also contains loads for cast bullets, like those for the 45-70 Government and 45 Colt. The Sierra, Speer, and Nosler are early editions that were limited to their products. I haven’t looked at the recent editions. The NRA manual is basically a re-print of American Rifleman articles and covers a lot of history. I don’t know if it’s still being published. The P.O. Ackley manual is a treasure; it's a historical reference for wildcats. The Lee manual has a huge amount of loads but I don't usually find them for the bullet or powder I am using.

As for accuracy, I think they are all accurate, just different testing, i.e. different receiver, barrel, temperature, humidity, test equipment, brass, etc. Watch pressure information, i.e. PSI versus CUP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts