M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Linda uses part of my workshop for her molten glass manipulation. The glass is at about 1700 degs when it starts to flow. What she does is control the speed and movement of the string as it comes out of a container of shards that are placed just so within the suspended kilns. Not something normal people would be doing when the outside temperature is 92, but then, no one ever accused us of being normal. These stringers will be cut and used in some of her glass artwork in her studio.

glass 2.jpg
glass 4.jpg
glass 3.jpg
glass 7.jpg
glass 6.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the stringer first starts out of the kiln it is glowing a very bright white hot.

·
Premium Member
6,879 Posts
Now Art, thats pretty cool! Take some pictures of her finished work.

REN

·
Registered
369 Posts
Seeing that glass straw reminds me of the 'soda straws' at Luray Caverns VA....

·
Registered
817 Posts
Wow awesome works of art, thanks for posting photos

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Nice artwork, please pass on our amazement of her talent!! -Lloyd 🍻

·
Premium Member
15,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice artwork, please pass on our amazement of her talent!! -Lloyd 🍻
I conveyed your thoughts to her this morning. She was out stacking and splitting wood at 06:30.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's nice stuff. How / where is it sold?
Also does she hire out for firewood chores?😁

·
Premium Member
15,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, She sells at a number of venues throughout the Northeast such as art associations and a couple of times a year a studio sale here.
The firewood detail is reserved.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Working with glass is pretty cool. Took an elective class in glassblowing in school. Even in January, the shed was pretty warm. A little different from fusing it. Really enjoyed it.
There are some great videos from the Corning Museum on YouBoob. They can run a fairly long time, but it's neat to watch the manipulation. They even show some lampwork.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've always wanted to try my hand at this kind of glass work; but didn't have a good place to set up as a workshop, nor did I want to have to buy all the equipment. I'll stick to the occasional leaded glass pieces I do, either as gifts or on consignment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts