M14 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
You don't need any bought yeast to start it. There is yeast everywhere (you're inhaling some right now). Just put a flour/sugar(can be granule or fruit)/water mixture out on your windowsill for a few days. And you'll have the same thing happen.

The best part, wild yeast can be different every time you make it. Makes for different flavors.

I have a batch of apple cider vinegar going in the closet. Just pick apples from the tree (don't wash them), quarter them, put them in a large container with water, cover with a tshirt (or something else permeable) and let them sit in the dark a few days. You'll start noticing bubbles, and finally a grey foam forming. The sugar in the apples gets converted to alcohol, and then the yeast turns it into vinegar. And you're left with the "mother" which is basically just a big gob of yeast and probiotics. Strain the solids out, put liquid and the mother into jars, and put it somewhere dark/cool.

You can split some mother off and make a new batch (speeds it up a lot), or dehydrate some and crush it up.

5,445 Posts
I read "making Yeast" as "Yeast infection"... man... I'm one scarred individual....

I propose yeast be made from the corpses of snackbarrin' snackbars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts