M14 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
What I recommend is to sign up over on the Weapons Guild as we have tons of concept / scratch build threads on all types of weapons.

Some of the most talented builders out there including some that started at similier age.
Many 07 SOT liscensed manufacturers that can also do custom builds.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd recommend learning how to file flat, square and to dimensions before getting into the manual or cnc world. It takes some dedicated practice,but well worth it. I learned while starting tool & die school, then later when I went to gunsmithing school in Trinidad I was way ahead.

Today, the CNC world has much to offer startups and students. Fusion360 is the cat's a$$ considering you can download it for free, solid model and spit out world class code with it for machining center or even 3D printing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are also thousands of great tutorial videos online for Fusion 360.

NYCCNC and Lars Christensen are 2 youtube channels with fantastic tutorials.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I've thought of casting parts from reclaimed brass cases. So I could go from scraps to gun. Seems to me it is all very do-able but the home scratch builder likely gives up light weight for sturdiness unless you know how to properly heat treat thinner materials for strength.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS949QQDtWQ[/ame]

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...-selling-non-firing-printed-firearm-replicas/

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
maybe make a 10/22 receiver out of brass.
Lruss

Reactions: Chainbreaker

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm thinking about doing something similar. I would use a readily available barrel from some other gun.
Definitely start with a solid model. From there you can look at printing or machining it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Learn some 3D software, and become an expert at it. Student Versions are cheaper.
Watch the Youtube video's on the software to learn it instead of taking classes.

·
Vendor
233 Posts
Gunmaker, your suggestion about learning to file reminded me of an interesting skill trained in Germany.

My Father had a German Mechanical Engineer working with him. In Germany even today I suspect young Jouneymen wishing to become Meister (Master) and be able to open a business and accept trainees had to pass Meisterprufen... Masters Tests.

One example is a fellow taking the Meisterpruf for glass blowing was provided a simple sounding test: blow a spring our of glass. The thing about springs is that any variation in angle, spread, diameter etc. jumps out. It's HARD to pass these tests.

The first training challeng my Father's friend suffered was being handed two lumps of steel and a file. And an order to create two identical cubes. Sound easy? The cubes serve as gages for each other. Any error in size or angle on a single facet requires correcting all the other facets. They started out with big lumps of steel and ended up with two little cubes.

The bottom line is that learning how to file isn't just a matter of dexterity, but of attention to detail.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts