M14 Forum banner

mags to tight - need help

2119 Views 8 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Wayne M
Hey guys, I'm hoping to get my new m14 out to the range on wed but my cmi mags barely fit - i have one mag that will go in with some force and the others wont even fully seat.

Is there any quick fix for this?

Thanks!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,149 Posts
We are going to need more information
Such as Who is the receiver maker

· Registered
2,713 Posts
Quick fix? Depends. Where is it tight at? Is it a stock problem where the mag wells tight and can be relieved, or the mag latch on the trigger group and op rod guide fit?

Lube up the latch and grease up the op rod guide and spring better. M14 mags should be tilted back to slide the front hole across and into the op rod guide point than snapped into place with the mag latch by pulling back on the lower mag and straighten it once it's locked at the op rod guide. Good ole rocked into the cradle. I've had tighter fitting trigger groups and parts always need a bit of break in when there new. Give it time. It will smooth out.

DI5

· Registered
5,765 Posts

· Registered
581 Posts
Lots of good info in the link above. I would read it and follow the advice.

I had tight mags as well and had to eventually clearance the rear reciever
metal tabs where the magazine fits into. This is at the rear of the mag well
opening.

I had to take a dremel and with a fine rotary sanding wheel, took off a few
thousands of the surface that contacts the mag. I smoothed the surface
while taking a few thousands off each side. I reblued the metal and applied
a little grease.

They now slip in and out easily, just like they should.

Good Luck!

· Registered
288 Posts
First identify where it is sticking. If you have a new SA Rifle with a Composite STock the stock would be my first look. If it is rubbing on the magazine well of the stock. It takes about 2 minutes with a file to relieve it for easy mag insertion or about 100 mag changes to wear in the stock a little.

· Registered
2,851 Posts
First identify where it is sticking. If you have a new SA Rifle with a Composite STock the stock would be my first look. If it is rubbing on the magazine well of the stock. It takes about 2 minutes with a file to relieve it for easy mag insertion or about 100 mag changes to wear in the stock a little.
The new Springfield synthetic stocks are notorious for sticking CMI mags. Open it up a little at a time until the mag just slides in then locks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.