M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty guys,
I got my rifle on the way, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow. I got a case of Port. I got a Whamo Camo LZ Nighthhawk on the way. And today I got 8 NIW BRW mags. Now, how many mags do you guys' have? How many is a "reasonable" amount? Do y'all think I should get more? Is there such a thing as TOO many mags? I'm not sure if I should buy more mags, more ammo or USGI parts next.....

Thoughts?

Thanks
Rich

BTW, don't forget to get your Starlight cases at Sam's. At the prices they're asking you can't afford NOT to.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
My $0.02, five to eight magazines is all that you need or will use. If you REALLY need more than that I hope you have some friends. :lol: Also, this assumes none of the magazines get lost, stolen, drowned or run over by a tank. :wink: I use the same four magazines for range use and the remainder are stored.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mecha,
Sam's Club. They have the Starlight double rifle cases for as low as $45 in some places.

so it sounds like I'm pretty set with 8? I wasn't sure if mags were one of those "more the merrier" type things. I know they are getting harder and harder to find, so i wasn't sure how many i should "horde"

Rich

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
8) If you compete in Service Rifle I recommend at least 5 so you dont have to reload between Rapid Fire strings. 8)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I've got 8, plus the 10 round mag that came with the rifle. Being a "pack-rat" by nature, I know I don't need more than that, but if a deal comes up, I'm sure I could always use some more. :D

Just make sure they are USGI mags - saves a lot of grief even if they are more expensive.

I like to rotate em between trips to the range to make sure they are all functional and don't leave more than two loaded, ready to go in case I'm ever counter-attacked by die-hard VC riding commie Water Buffaloes. It must be working, because they've stayed away so far. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would stock up next on a few basic tools (check out the "Armory" section), the Duff and Kuhnhausen books (Intel), and LOTS of ammo ("The Ammo Bunker").

About ammo - you might want to try a variety of different milsurp ammo to see which one your rifle "likes" the best.

duckbuck

·
Registered
207 Posts
TOO MANY IS JUST RIGHT! :mrgreen: (quote from other member)

I have 3 USGI 20-rounder and 2 SA 10-rounder. For an easy-going weekend shooter, it's pretty enough.

By the way, there's NO "too many" issues for good USGI mags.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How many can you afford? Get all the mags you can now because they will just keep going up in price. Somewhere around how many mags will last you forever is how many you need. In other words there is no set amount.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Trumpet, Get yourself Mag pouches to fit on your gear and go from there.. See how many mags you can carry on yourself.
Bandoliers like Sunrise said is a good idea.
And rebuild kits for you mags if they go bad is good too..

I dont know if the guy is still there, I think his name is Mendoza or somthin of that nature, but under the FN FAL search on Ebay, he sells 5 mag bandoliers that strap across your chest for 20 bucks. You cant beat it.
It works perfectly with an LBE the suspender straps fitting fine between the pouches..

·
Registered
187 Posts
How Many Mags?

I keep one ammo can for M1A, one for Mini 14, one for XP 100 and one for my savage bolt heavy brl. M1A=5 20s & 5 10s, mini 14=5 20s & 5 10s. XP .221 fireball I keep aprox 200 rounds loaded. Savage bolt I keep aprox 200 rounds loaded also. Lost of loose ammo for all of the above +
a little for my hand guns. (9mm & 44 mag.) When I go to the range I take a 5 gal. pale to bring home my brass. Love to shoot and love to reload. If you got em, shoot em. Of course all the 20s are pre ban. DID I SAY
20s? I ain't got no stinken 20s. 20s are a no,no in beautiful sunny California. Can't buy em, can't sell em, don't got any. Trust me!
Nor Cal Mikie..... Have a good day boys and girls!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
How Many Mags?

I keep one ammo can for M1A, one for Mini 14, one for XP 100 and one for my savage bolt heavy brl. M1A=5 20s & 5 10s, mini 14=5 20s & 5 10s. XP .221 fireball I keep aprox 200 rounds loaded. Savage bolt I keep aprox 200 rounds loaded also. Lost of loose ammo for all of the above +
a little for my hand guns. (9mm & 44 mag.) When I go to the range I take a 5 gal. pale to bring home my brass. Love to shoot and love to reload. If you got em, shoot em. Of course all the 20s are pre ban. DID I SAY
20s? I ain't got no stinken 20s. 20s are a no,no in beautiful sunny California. Can't buy em, can't sell em, don't got any. Trust me!
Nor Cal Mikie..... Have a good day boys and girls!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 16 GI twentys and 1 Springfield 10 rounder.
I did the 10 GI mag deal from Coles, then a couple months later found
6 more local, at 10 bucks apiece I couldn't pass em up.
I kinda look at it as an investment, in more ways than one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.