M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a magnified red dot sight (3x or better) with long eye relief for "forward" mount on a Scout/Socom M1A? Tried asking a big-box sport goods store guy and ended up educating him... All of the scopes (red dot) I find with mag. have short eye relief for ARs... only 1x have unlimited eye relief. Help! ( we know about Burris & Leupold scout scopes.... Want to investigate magnified red dot also.)

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
this thread should be in optic's
there are a few red dot threads there.
Lruss

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
This question is actually quite specific .

Maybe a mod can move the thread for us.

leupold also offers the hamr. But I do not think it is variable nor do I know the eye relief.

If I am not mistaken the mark 4 cqt is similar to other 1-4x24mm types as far as eye relief so it should have a good deal of relief.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
If your not budget limited us optics has some great illumination technology for a daytime scope and they custom build them .

I believe leupold also has adequate illumination tech so it's daylight visible. Their flagship right now is the mark 8 qbss 1.1-8x24mm ffp. But that's a high dollar piece of gear.

Your best bet is to pull that scout rail off.

Then you could either run a reciever mount and use one of the 1-4x,5x,or 6x 24 mm objective type scopes. A low mount like an A.R M.S. 18 and a scope like a weaver tactical or SWFA 24 mm objective scope with daytime illumination would be great.

All the 24mm scopes have a ton of eye relief, and are great.

The main problem with running a magnified red dot is that the magnifier mounts and red dots are designed for the ar15 or other rifle where the stock is in line with the bore.

If you tried to put an aimpoint with 3x magnifier on a socom you'd need special mounts to fit everything on the rail and even then your going to have to turkey neck and really stretch do to the aforementioned eye relief issues.

NOW, there are a few solution for those dead set on running a red dot plus magnifier.

1. Drop into a Troy chassis or rogue chassis. These allow use of ar15 optics and optics mounts.

2. This is just me spit balling here, but you could run a red dot mounted in a medium height or high reverse cantilever mount on a ultimak scout rail (the ultimak rail sits as low as it gets and replaces your handgaurd and scout mount.

Then you can pick up the UTG or sage stripper clip rail and then you can run a magnifier in a quick detach reverse mounted cantilever red dot mount (made by American defense, LaRue , or bobro).

So, in summation My recommendation if you want a red dot with a flip to side mount is to go with a rogue or Troy and run an aimpoint with larue mounts.

The sensible thing is to ditch the SOCOM Mount , purchase an A.R.M.S. 18 Mount and then shop for a 1-4x24mm scope with DAYTIME illumination. Generally you can Google the scope model and daytime bright : "is the leupold vx patrol fire dot daytime bright?"

Option 2 isn't so great and you will need a cheek piece which means drilling holes or buying a Bradley rest. Also the eye relief will still be an issue (though using a reverse mounted cantilever mount will make a difference I think.

A member here N1fe has the patrol and as you can see its a nifty setup. He has an m21 but an arms mount or other quality mount like a basset low would serve you well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.