M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you may be familiar with MagCinch's way of mounting an extra Magazine on your M14/M1A. The idea of more fire power "On The Gun" is an idea that may be of use when one has to grab the gun and go. If the fire power is traveling with the rifle it can't be left behind as could happen with a ammo belt/pouch setup. The MagCinch setup is interesting because it has one magazine (The Right One) mounted lower than other.

(Pic of Installed MagCinch)

The "Stair Step" mounting Allows for clearance of the safeties, magazine release and especially the operating rod. It works flawlessly and seems to be very durable. The system has a few drawbacks.
#1 the carrying of an extra Mag. adds over a pound to the rifle. (Big Deal)
#2 If the Rifle has a Scope Mount (such as the Third Gen. Type) The magazine will hit the mount if the right magazine is inserted into the gun. In fact you can't even get it locked in. :?

(Pic of interference)

The cure to the trouble lies in the way Viet Nam era guys taped there
clips together. In those times we were required to carry 100 rounds with us all the time. Besides the 100 rounds I always had a set of taped clips in the gun bringing the total to 120. The hundred plus rounds brought the gun close to "Cook Off" point but sometimes the length of the shoot out required extra fire power BUT Unlike MagCinch our magazines were not taped together pointing the same way. They were end for end and the ammo pointed in opposite directions. :idea:

(Pic of back to back - end to end Mags)

This Viet Nam Era Of installing your Magazines into the MagCinch works
well. :)

(pic of assembled unit)

IT takes care of two problems
# 1 It does not interfere with the Scope Mount and Knobs :)

(L/H View Installed in Rifle)

#2 it allows for more comfort when using the sling when shifted from the right shoulder to the left shoulder. If the mags. are installed with the ammo pointing in same direction it will be fine on the one shoulder but hit you in the ribs if you switch shoulders and you won't be able to move the magazines in the rifle to cure the problem. If they are opposite directions, switching to the other magazine lets you switch shoulders comfortably. :)

(photo merge )

One new trouble you might experience is that the Magazine could get
dipped into the dirt in the prone position. It makes the mag assembly lower by an inch or so.

(Pic of prone/Bi-Pod)

If you use a Bi-Pod or simply are aware of the problem you can work this out.
............................SP/4 Twiggy :)

·
Banned
354 Posts
sixtgunr,and dighawaii Excuse my brain hemorage for not loging in before I posted the MagCingh Options (Above) I'll be more attentive next time. maybe you could remove the Guest as the author and replace it with "Twiggy" so I can get notifyed of the replys...........Thanks ..............SP/4 Twiggy

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No need for apologies sir ... Happens occassionally.

Don't think I can edit that part of the thread but as long as your signature is at the bottom we all know ya did well ...

I like that pic of the two fellers there .... They look ....

How do you say it .... ???

READY!

Six

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Twiggy:

That was a very informative post and Thank You for sharing that information with us.

The pictures matched your text GREAT! So you didn't have to imagine what you were saying, it was right there! Far Out! Oops, I'm giving my age away... :oops: I should have said Cool! :lol:

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
Very great idea. I have seen this done with other make of rifles too. My question with the extra weight on the mag release will this cause feeding problems or wear and tear.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here is the set-up I have for my M14:

Two of these came with the rifle when I bought it. They are metal, and I'm not sure who made them. It does add weight to the rifle.

I'll post a pitcure later of just the set-up if you want to see it.

azski

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Nice pics and info. there twiggy. 8)

Hey azski: Doesn't the right mag get in the way of the op-rod handle when losding a fresh round from the left mag??

Maybe if you turn the mag on the left 180 degrees (about face) it'll always be on the left side of the rifle. 8)

warbird out

·
Registered
174 Posts
warbird said:
Nice pics and info. there twiggy. 8)

Hey azski: Doesn't the right mag get in the way of the op-rod handle when losding a fresh round from the left mag??

Maybe if you turn the mag on the left 180 degrees (about face) it'll always be on the left side of the rifle. 8)

warbird out
Nope, misses it completely. I have the right mag an inch or so lower than the left one so it clears the op rod.

I'll post a picture of the set-up tomorrow.

azski

·
Banned
354 Posts
AFront :The scope is a 6x40 government model Springfield. Works OK, there are better and worse scopes.The cross hairs are a bit thin for low light shooting. As for the need for a MagCinch- Ya' got to want one because with the two Magazines and the unit it usally comes to about $120 bucks.

Steve k: when I was in the service I had the back to back deal (taped together) and it never bothered. I must say that my M1a never seems to have trouble feeding but I don't shoot as much as I did in the service. As for wear and tear--- It would not be realistic to think that an extra pound or so rocking on the bottom of the gun wouldn't have some effect.

azski: The unit I have is mostly plastic and has only one steel screw through the middle. The bands are nylon. (Nice Pic of your rifle)

warbird: The beauty of the whole deal is that if you want you can find a way to miss or accomodate any thing that comes standard or is later mounted on the rifle. aski's rifle has the standard setup MagCinch suggests. I had mine this way at times and it works fine. What may be hard to see is that the right mag is mounted slightly lower than the left Look at the first pic in my post. Thats what Aski's would look like if he switched mags. The opp rod easly clears the top of the Magazine

Thanks Guys..............................SP/4 Twiggy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.