M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ive had good luck with them in the past for shooter mags. I got them when Midwayusa.com had them on sale.
If I remember they called them Type 57?
Mags..
Yes, that is correct! Damn good magazines, spot welded just like the govt. magazines. I loaded up on them at about $9.00 each in the grease paper. Not form Midway, though, some outfit on the East Cast, name lost to me now. I bought 100.00 worth and wish I had gotten $200 worth! Who has them now?
GregT

·
Registered
286 Posts
I bought 10 of them many decades ago from Federal Ordnance. They have a gray phosphate finish, smothered in an amber type of grease wrapped in wax paper. They have worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you're talking about these, I bought a few and haven't had a problem with the ones I've used

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wow. I thought I had plenty of magazines for an M-1A. I have six twenty round magazines and one ten round magazine. Some people on these forums probably have over twenty-five M-1A magazines.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Magazines? I don't have any magazines.

Reactions: Tex1001

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Here is my take on magazines. They are one of most likely sources of malfunctions in a semi auto or full auto small arm. Always opt for the magazine with the highest known level of quality. There might be some foreign magazines that work well but I do not want to gamble with a $25 part that can render a $1500 + small arm inoperative.

CMI magazines or surplus USGI magazines are all I want to bet on.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I don’t want to seem argumentative but tooling alone does not determine product quality. The materials used, how the tooling is used and how the tooling is maintain all play important parts in the final quality of a product.

If someone wishes to gamble on the quality of a foreign made product, that is fine with me but at the current prices of the Taiwanese magazines I would definitely go with CMI magazines which are a proven quality product. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Wow. I thought I had plenty of magazines for an M-1A. I have six twenty round magazines and one ten round magazine. Some people on these forums probably have over twenty-five M-1A magazines.
I’d say you are on the low end of magazine count as compared to many others here. You can never have too many.

I’d wager a bakers dozen is the average.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I don’t want to seem argumentative but tooling alone does not determine product quality. The materials used, how the tooling is used and how the tooling is maintain all play important parts in the final quality of a product.

If someone wishes to gamble on the quality of a foreign made product, that is fine with me but at the current prices of the Taiwanese magazines I would definitely go with CMI magazines which are a proven quality product. Just my two cents worth.
Not to be argumentative either bit I get it you like CMI my point is they might be fine because of the tooling at least up to specs. One may be better than another but for at least now we are not counting our lives on them. Also a deal is a deal not all of us have unlimited funds.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Not to be argumentative either bit I get it you like CMI my point is they might be fine because of the tooling at least up to specs. One may be better than another but for at least now we are not counting our lives on them. Also a deal is a deal not all of us have unlimited funds.
I tend to use the T57’s at the range, keeping the USGI mags for another day. The 57’s always worked fine, but the metal doesn’t seem as thick to me and they feel lighter.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Everyone can approach this issue differently and that is OK. However, I simply do not tolerate a magazine that I don’t have the highest confidence in. While I don’t expect to use a small arm for defensive purposes, I am prepared to do just that. I want any magazine I possess to be able to be used with confidence in just such a case. I can also state that at least twice I was let down by a faulty magazine in competition - both being 1911 magazines. The stakes weren’t high but I sure was PO’ed. I can also state that I have never had a single issue with an M14 magazine. Their design is exceptionally rugged and if you start out with a good quality magazine, you can be confident that you won’t be disappointed - ever.

·
Registered
LRB M14 SA, Criterion Med Wt CL Barrel, all GI parts with basic upgrades.
273 Posts
I have about 10 CMI and USGI and 4 Taiwanese but my T’s are blued. Very sturdy and reliable with welded locking latches. Followers look a little cheaper than US but they perform. Zero issues. Would definitely trust them. What’s the price though because some people have CMI in stock still for around $30. Is it worth the savings?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Everyone can approach this issue differently and that is OK. However, I simply do not tolerate a magazine that I don’t have the highest confidence in. While I don’t expect to use a small arm for defensive purposes, I am prepared to do just that. I want any magazine I possess to be able to be used with confidence in just such a case.
I am overly paranoid about my magazines. If they are twenty round magazines I load two of them to seventeen rounds for long term storage. And then I rotate them out every few years. If they are thirty round magazines I load two of them to around twenty-four rounds and do the same thing. Likely they would all be fine loading them to one or two rounds minus full capacity and storing them for several years. But I figure better safe then sorry. I doubt I would need more than thirty-four or forty-eight rounds if I had to grab a long gun for home defense.

A warning to everyone reading this as well; polymer Magpul magazine lips wear out if you do not use the magazine covers and keep them loaded for long periods of time.

Reactions: hytekrednek

·
Registered
496 Posts
I guess the upside of being an HK fanboy is that I'm already conditioned to spend a lot on magazines, haha. I consider CMI a bargain and the quality is outstanding.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts