M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up 3 BRW S-1 mags at a gun show awhile back. They are serviceable but have some wear on the outside. I would like to refinish them. Maybe repark them? Any suggestions. Thanks, Ken.JMPWNG2AIRASLT

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Duracoat, Cerekote, or similar finishes would also be another option.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Parkerize, Cerakote, Duracoat, Krylon, Melonite, Black T, Ion Bond... A whole lot of options. I've had mine Melonited as well as some of the rifle parts and am happy with it. It's not the cheapest though...

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Eventually all magazines will show shiny spots/wear after being used enough. Just inserting in the rifle a few times will take the Park off in spots. Given enough use, any coating will get scratched off eventually. For small touch up spots cold blueing or a Black Magic Marker will work just fine. Flat Black Krylon works well to do the whole mag. All you are really trying to do is put a little protective barrier against the elements. Spend your money on ammo. dozier

·
Registered
135 Posts
I dura-coated 2 of my SS mags. They were too polished up for me, I bead blasted them and had a friend do the Magpul FDE coating on them. They look good now.

I have also had friends repark them and then spray them in alumahyde. You can get it thru Brownells. I'm going to be doing that to a couple of my older beat up mags some time here soon. Just need to pick a color.

Pick a coating and go with it. There is no wrong answer. Do what you want to. Keep it old-skool or experiment. That is the great thing about it. GI6

·
Registered
708 Posts
oscarcat,

Parkerizing is actually a pretty easy process to do yourself. I have had good luck with Radocy Zinc (gray) and Brownell's Manganese (dark gray to black). All you need are the chemicals, stainless container big enough for the parts and a source of heat. I use a propane camp stove in the garage and prep the parts with either a bead blast or muratic acid dip prior to the park bath. Google "Parkerizing" and you will get a ton of sources for the chemicals and plenty of tutorials to educate yourself on the process. Good luck. BGRIN1
Not M14 related but here is a pic of a very cosmetically abused S&W I redid with manganese.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Flat black Teflon from Black Ice Coating. The coating is slick and durable

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys

I really appreciate the info guys. I really want to try to keep them as mil-spec as possible. I will do some research on the parkerizing process. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Use Aluma Hyde 2, Gun Kote, Cera Kote, etc on the outsides, but if the mags are smooth inside I would leave the insides alone. I love how smooth old mags get.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Here is an Ak I built and parkerized. It turned out very well. Bead blasted, then rinsed and thoroughly degreased with brake clean. Put it in the tank until it is done bubbling, take it out of the tank, rinse it again, and drop it in some WD40. I also let mine soak in cosmoline for a day and wiped it all off. A very easy process. Water temp should be around 200 degrees F.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts