M14 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Living in Cali changes things, and accepting the situation and further reducing max capacity is not something I'd recommend, since the fix is likely very simple.

Due to the spring design, removing coils isn't really feasible, but shortening the legs only takes a few minutes.

I pulled the spring and put the follower under 10 rounds, and as expected, there was very little space between the follower's legs and the base plate. I just finished slightly shortening the follower legs (with a disc sander) of one of them, and I'm now able to insert it under the bolt. Enough tension has been removed from the bolt that it goes fully into battery if I retract it half way and release it,
That seems like a pretty easy fix. Thanks man! I may try that this weekend with my buddies sander. I agree, living here under bogus laws, I don't want to give up any more capacity than I already have. One of these days I'll find a job in a free state.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yea, I think I'll just have to dowñload my ten round mags, I wish I could have twenty round mags. I'm currently stuck in California with their stupid laws 😡
Thanks again for the feedback
Are California residents able to buy pre-ban 20 round GI mags?

If so you can generally get GI KMT and Borg Warner mags reasonably priced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are California residents able to buy pre-ban 20 round GI mags?

If so you can generally get GI KMT and Borg Warner mags reasonably priced.
I wish. Unfortunately, we cannot own anything over 10 rounds period. There was a week last year we call "freedom week" when a district judge put a stay on the ban but everything sold out so quickly and I did not yet own my M1A.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
AFAIK (I'm not a lawyer!), the California magazine ban was just thrown out again, so there's no legal reason to be limited to 10rnds...

In any case, most 10rnd mags are designed so that they'll NEVER EVER hold more than 10rnds, for legal reasons: It would be a potential legal catastrophe for a "10rnd" mag to actually hold 11...

·
Premium Member
15,725 Posts
I load 9 in 10 rnd mags and 18 in 20 rnd mags. The 5 rounders seem to seat well fully loaded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
AFAIK (I'm not a lawyer!), the California magazine ban was just thrown out again, so there's no legal reason to be limited to 10rnds...

In any case, most 10rnd mags are designed so that they'll NEVER EVER hold more than 10rnds, for legal reasons: It would be a potential legal catastrophe for a "10rnd" mag to actually hold 11...
Hey man,
Agreed. I'm now realizing why they put those little legs on the follower, that way you can never hold more than 10 in the firearm. I will just lock to the rear and load. On the California thing, the 9th district court maintained the ban to be unconstitutional; however, and importantly the stay placed on the original ruling is still in place. A mandate is needed on the last ruling which hopefully we will see within two weeks of tomorrow (21 days for mandate). But the AG might appeal and call for an em banc review which means it'll be at least a year till we hewe anything. I'm praying and hoping we get the mandate in the next 15 days. To answer the posters question, no we cannot own pre ban anything. nothing over ten rounds, PERIOD. That happened in 2017. If anyone knows of any jobs out of state, I'm game!

·
Registered
966 Posts
I wish. Unfortunately, we cannot own anything over 10 rounds period. There was a week last year we call "freedom week" when a district judge put a stay on the ban but everything sold out so quickly and I did not yet own my M1A.
This is absolutely not true!
There are many thousands of legally owned standard capacity magazines in the hands of California citizens.
The "mag ban" included manufacture, importation, selling, but not possession.
Mags in possession when the ban went into effect were not confiscated and are legal to own.

PG
USA2

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are many thousands of legally owned standard capacity magazines in the hands of California citizens.
Mags in possession when the ban went into effect were not confiscated and are legal to own.

PG
USA2
Man

PG
USA2
Man, I wish that were true. There were not confiscated but you had three options for previously owned mags, turn in to LE, sell out of state or destroy. They can't confiscate because they don't know who has what. But believe me, if you had some 25 rounders from say the 1980's, those are illegal to possess in California. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man

Man, I wish that were true. There were not confiscated but you had three options for previously owned mags, turn in to LE, sell out of state or destroy. They can't confiscate because they don't know who has what. But believe me, if you had some 25 rounders from say the 1980's, those are illegal to possess in California. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
I know it's not intentional but you're flat wrong here sir. California Penal Code 32310 part c makes it a crime for a person to possess a magazine with a capacity of more than ten rounds regardless of the date it was acquired! Tube mags are exempt. Part d of 32310 give some the penalties which is punishable as a woblette offense. If a DA decides to make an example out of you, you can do a year in county jail. I don think who misinformed you but I would reconsider that source. Be well PG.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts