M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st post here and thank you all in advance.

I just got a brand new SA M1A, Loaded model, walnut stock, SS match barrel.
The 10 round magazine that came with it will not seat with 10 rounds in the mag and the bolt closed. It seats easily with the bolt open and 10 rounds, and will also seat easily with 9 rounds and the bolt closed. But with a fully loaded magazine it just won't go unless the bolt is open.

Is this a common issue? Did I get a bad magazine? Is the receiver really out of spec?

The only ammo I can find is CBC brand m80 ball, its 147gr FMJ and stamped with the NATO + symbol.

I have not fired my new rifle yet as I am awaiting cleaning kit order to arrive. I also am awaiting 20 round Checkmate mags and really hope i don't have a similar issue with them.

Any insight/advise into this issue is greatly appreciated, thanks =)

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
If it fits with 9 than it should fit with 10 as the round should sit in the same place at the top of the Mag lips weather there is 1 round in the Mag or 10. It may be that with 10 it is so tight it is causing you to not want to force it into the locked position. I bet you have no problems with a different mag.
Your Rifle is fine so don't worry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for your reply sir. With 10 rounds in the mag and the bolt closed it just will not seat. I put quite a lot of umph into trying to seat it. Empty mag, no problem at all. 9 rounds, no problem. But with 10 I could see the brass on the 10th round had a mark where it was contacting the bottom of the bolt. I'm afraid to put any more force than that. =(

I'll wait until I get my new mags in and see what they do, I just don't see why the 10 round mag that came with the rifle won't go with 10 and the bolt closed.

·
Banned
3,773 Posts
For whatever reason, there see s to be various problems with 10 round mags. Regardless of who the manufacturer happens to be.
My 10 round mags works perfectly, but I just happened to get one if the good ones.
I've no doubt that once you get your 20 round mags, everything will be just fine.
On a side note, that 10 round mag that came with your rifle, is in fact a CMI mag with a SAI logo on it. SAI does not manufacture their own mags, but contract CMI for their mags.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The body may be a tad short or your spring may have one to many coils.
If the body is short the bottom of the follower has legs that stick down, these legs can touch the floor plate. Take your magazine apart, insert 10 rounds in the mag, holding the rounds in place install the follower on the rounds, look at the legs and see if they are in the area of the floor plate, you can slide the floor plate on to see if the legs touch. If they touch you can remove a small amount of metal from the follower legs. If the legs are not bottoming out it would than be your spring, the coil stack is bottoming out the follower.

See if you can figure out which is the problem.

Jim

·
Registered
373 Posts
you have to close the bolt to strip a round into the chamber, so to load the mag with the bolt closed you still have to cycle the bolt anyway to chamber a round. I don't see the issue.

·
Banned
351 Posts
I recently bought 5 CMI 10 round mags. They all fit very tight in 3 of my rifles and in 2 others, they would not click in with an OPEN bolt.

I took a small file the same thickness as the mag latch plate and removed some material off of THE TOP of the magazine latch plate.

They snap in much easier now like my 20 round 60's era GI mags do. This is a good fix for mags that will not seat.

NEVER remove material from THE BOTTOM of the mag latch plate, only from the top because, what is happening when the mags don't seat, is that the TOP of the mag latch plate is hitting home on the bottom of the receiver bridge before the mag latch in the trigger housing can clear and lock in the magazine.

I don't know if the CMI ten rounders have latch plates that are a tad too long or maybe slightly mis-located.

FWIW, you may not want to do anything to the mags you have. Normal loading on an M14 is from an open bolt position so, if your mags lock in OK with an open bolt, well, I'd say that you are GTG.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I went out to dinner, came home, and all these replies! You guys are great. Thanks for putting a new M1A owners mind at ease.

I have wanted an M1A for many years and was was worried but you guys set me strait, Thanks again everyone. =)

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
The rounds have to sit high enough in the magazine that the bolt can grab them so when you insert a loaded mag with the bolt forward the top round is hitting the bolt. It's perfectly normal all my ARs do it to various degrees once the rifle and mags 'wear in' it won't be a problem anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my new M1A. I ditched the SAI mags that came with it and got CMI mags. No more problem.. its the magazine not the gun

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have not fired my new rifle yet as I am awaiting cleaning kit order to arrive. I also am awaiting 20 round Checkmate mags and really hope i don't have a similar issue with them.
#1, you haven't even fired the rifle yet, 'stuff' needs to wear in and that includes mags. Quit trying to find problems till you shoot it some, after cleaning and lubing it up. BTW, my bolt roller came dry from the factory, so check that.

#2, those 10 rnd mags can be iffy. IMO, anything other than the standard 20 rnd mag can be iffy. Even new standard mags can be iffy till they are worn in some. Ever seen well used mags that didn't have wear marks, no matter the firearm used?

I don't remember if mine came with a 10 rnd mag or not, this was 23 years ago in 1990. If it did, I lost it or tossed it, or just can't find it. Don't remember ever using one.

Take it out, shoot it and break it in. Enjoy!

Wet

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Wow, I went out to dinner, came home, and all these replies! You guys are great. Thanks for putting a new M1A owners mind at ease.

I have wanted an M1A for many years and was was worried but you guys set me strait, Thanks again everyone. =)
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your fine new rifle.
Hytek

·
Registered
13 Posts
1st post here and thank you all in advance.

I just got a brand new SA M1A, Loaded model, walnut stock, SS match barrel.
The 10 round magazine that came with it will not seat with 10 rounds in the mag and the bolt closed. It seats easily with the bolt open and 10 rounds, and will also seat easily with 9 rounds and the bolt closed. But with a fully loaded magazine it just won't go unless the bolt is open.

Is this a common issue? Did I get a bad magazine? Is the receiver really out of spec?

The only ammo I can find is CBC brand m80 ball, its 147gr FMJ and stamped with the NATO + symbol.

Any insight/advise into this issue is greatly appreciated, thanks =)
Hey man, dont know if you're still around on the forum but wondering how this worked out for you?

·
Registered
497 Posts
The OP was last seen August of 2013. Are you also having the same prioblem?

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's definitely common. I just tried a couple of my CMI 10 rounders, and have to smack the baseplates to get either of them to seat under the bolt, in an old SAI and Bula rifles. Once their seated under the bolt, retracting the bolt partially results in it being held in a partially open position by the pressure from the cartridges,

I basically never fully load 10 round mags, so it;s never been a "problem" for me. 20 round magazines should be able to be seated under the bolt, without applying unreasonable pressure.,

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's definitely common. I just tried a couple of my CMI 10 rounders, and have to smack the baseplates to get either of them to seat under the bolt, in an old SAI and Bula rifles. Once their seated under the bolt, retracting the bolt partially results in it being held in a partially open position by the pressure from the cartridges,

I basically never fully load 10 round mags, so it;s never been a "problem" for me. 20 round magazines should be able to be seated under the bolt, without applying unreasonable pressure.,
Yea, I think I'll just have to dowñload my ten round mags, I wish I could have twenty round mags. I'm currently stuck in California with their stupid laws 😡
Thanks again for the feedback

·
Registered
497 Posts
Living in Cali changes things, and accepting the situation and further reducing max capacity is not something I'd recommend, since the fix is likely very simple.

Due to the spring design, removing coils isn't really feasible, but shortening the legs only takes a few minutes.

I pulled the spring and put the follower under 10 rounds, and as expected, there was very little space between the follower's legs and the base plate. I just finished slightly shortening the follower legs (with a disc sander) of one of them, and I'm now able to insert it under the bolt. Enough tension has been removed from the bolt that it goes fully into battery if I retract it half way and release it,

1 - 20 of 31 Posts