M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased (ebay) a lot of 10 Vietnam era magazine pouches for the standard M14 20 round magazine. Upon receipt of the pouches, I noticed that there were not any attachment clips on the back.

I am curious if the standard A.L.I.C.E. clips will work of if there is another style that I need.

The back of the pouch has two small metal eyelets that are centered one on top of another about 3 inches apart.

I need help / advice to make these operational.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

·
Registered
947 Posts
You're not describing any "Vietnam Era" M14 magazine case I'm familiar with. All ours held two magazines and had a pair of ALICE clips on the back along with a strap to attach to the web harness (suspenders).

Only eyelet is the drain hole in the bottom.

-- Chuck

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
He may be describing the single pouch that the Marines used that have two eyelets on the bottom(horizontal) and two snaps inside the "belt loop", They slid over the ammo belt and snapped into place. If so....hey have no facility for alice clips.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Jefferson F. Davis said:
I've got some 20 rd M16 pouches like Hawk describes, only they hold 2 mags. Look like they were designed to fit on a standard 1" wide web belt.
You may have the mags pouches for the AR-man.

Until they were stolen, I had two 2-mag ALICE pouches. These are tough to find. I do remember seeing a catalog from an outfit called "Mass Army/Navy" that showed some made in ROK.

The 1 mag pouches Hawk described were issued to us in 1975 at OCS, with our M14s and two mags. Many of the pouches showed heavy wear.

EDIT: I pulled out my 1974 edition Guidebook for Marines, and it shows the one-mag pouches Hawk and I talk about.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:? What do they look like? This is TEAs Webgear, he has the old type(Viet Nam Era)Right and the new type Left, do they look like either? if they do they will take the Clips( available at Army Navy Stores)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Trung Si said:
:? What do they look like? This is TEAs Webgear, he has the old type(Viet Nam Era)Right and the new type Left, do they look like either? if they do they will take the Clips( available at Army Navy Stores)

The older one on the right is like the personal ones I used to have. Like I said, they are hard to find. They also have small straps on each side to secure grenades as well, don't they?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D shep854: Yes they do! ;)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
From the poster's original description, it sounds like you may have the M1961 single magazine pouches for the U.S.G.I. 20 round M14 Magazines:

If this is what you have, ... you can't use ALICE clips with them. The main piece of canvas on the back is actually double layered and the "eyelets" you describe are probably the back sides of two snaps. Look inside, between the two layers (which form the upper and lower "belt loops" of the mag pouch) and you'll see the male part of the snaps.

There are a lot of these mag pouches on the market right now, at fairly low prices, because you need the M1961 web belt to use them, and these (in good shape and useable sizes) are getting scarce as hens teeth. They have the female side of the snaps encorporated into the web belt to hold the mag pouches in place. This one is currently up for auction on e-bay, ... starting at $50.00 with 6 days left (I paid ~ $80.00 for mine a while back, but it was an L (30+ waist) in absolutely unused cond.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36065&item=6502042375&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Just an added note, ... the M1961 setup was used primarily by the USMC, while the U.S. Army was mainly issued the M1956 gear. To my knowledge, the correct Load Bearing Equipment (as issued by the U.S.M.C.) for this setup during the Vietnam Era would have been the M1941 Suspenders:

The M1956 H-Harness (Primarily U.S. Army) would also be correct:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yep, the M1961 pouches were what we were issued at Quantico in 1975. I thought of the suspenders as WWII holdovers, as were our knapsacks and haversacks. I don't recall the snaps on the web belt, though. We just slipped the belts through the loops on the pouches.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
shep854 said:
I don't recall the snaps on the web belt, though. We just slipped the belts through the loops on the pouches.
Yeah, ... I forgot to mention that the m1961 pouches could be used with any of the web belts by just putting the belt through the loops. The pouches will be able to slide around under certain conditions, but that may not be a problem for WAPD-191, depending on how he wants to use them. The original m1961 belts that they were designed to be used with are hard to come by these days. They were made in both Vertical weave webbing as pictured above and in a horizonal weave, with the vertical weave being a little more rare.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.