21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
This is a nice USGI mag.

These opened up not too long ago.

These are cool too.

Most recent purchase

And of course the obligatory family photo!

REN
GI2

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im fairly certain these are CMI. Marked BRW S-1.
Looking at the photo, it looks like someone just pressed over our CMI mark which is why it looks so deformed. This is not something we would ever do and with over 40 million magazines made, it's tough to know who would.

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
Please note we've (CMI) never "faked" any BRW M14 mags (or any others) and we have no affiliation with whoever did.
I should have been more clear, the magazines used to produce these forgeries were CMI magazines. Who placed the stamps on them remains a mystery.

RENGI2

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
Looking at the photo, it looks like someone just pressed over our CMI mark which is why it looks so deformed. This is not something we would ever do and with over 40 million magazines made, it's tough to know who would.
No sir, you need to look much closer, these were professionally done. I have handled a few and seen many more, these were originally unstamped! The magazines used for this endeavor were of CMI manufacture.

RENGI2

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
FWIW, the first CMI contract for military M14 magazines was in 1989 (per Emerson's 2019 book, Vol 3, page 164). I bought 3 of them still in original packaging that reference '89' on the label which is the year associated with the DoD contract. The previous owner tore a small hole on bottom corner of one package to check markings.

Apparently these early mags have a serifed "I" where is says 'CMI', but later mags have a non-serifed "l". The original label underneath was dated 'Apr 90' which is probably when they were received by the military, but these packages were re-labeled a few months later in 8/90, I think the bar code system was added on these labels at that time. Just an fyi about the first CMI magazines.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
FWIW, the first CMI contract for military M14 magazines was in 1989 (per Emerson's 2019 book, Vol 3, page 164). I bought 3 of them still in original packaging that reference '89' on teh label which is the year associated with the contract. The previous owner tore a small hole on bottom corner of one package to check markings.

Apparently these early mags have a serifed "I" where is says 'CMI', but later mags have a straight "l". The original label underneath was dated 'Apr 90' which is probably when they were received by the military, but these packaged were re-labeled a few months later in 8/90, I think the bar code system was added on these labels at that time. Just an fyi about the first CMI USGI M14 magazines.
Pretty cool! PM me for a shirt

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,649 Posts
The BRW S-1 mags I have all look to have had some surface rust and were reparked or bead blasted blue, they have CMI stamped bases plates, as for the spring and follower I don't know the manufacture. Like I said before I bought them from .44mag.com and was told they were GI mag bodies with new internals.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The BRW S-1 mags I have all look to have had some surface rust and were reparked or bead blasted blue, they have CMI stamped bases plates, as for the spring and follower I don't know the manufacture. Like I said before I bought them from .44mag.com and was told they were GI mag bodies with new internals.
I offered to send CMI one of mine for inspection if they're interested.

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I would rather not have to sign up/ sign in to get free copy - anyone have it that can just link or email the guide ?
It doesn’t require a CC for the free download. It acts like its going to until you get to the payment section of checkout.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I'm looking at a supposedly USGI magazine in the wrap marked Springfield Armory. I'm not sure if it's a rewrap, original, or a fake. Any one have an example of what a SA magazine should look like?
Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 1.33.11 PM.png

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’m learning about magazines and I got a few recently. I’d like some info on what I've got. I’ve looked at Emerson Guide and think these are real.
Have several of the BRW mags also, new old stock still in bag and foil. Yep, they are real👍

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

My collection of manufacturers has grown since I started this post.

Left to right:
Olin-Mathieson Chemical Corporation (OM)
Keileen Machine and Tool (KMT)
Apex Subcontracted to KMT (A KMT)
Rochester Manufacturing Company (HR-R)
Checkmate Industries (CMI)
Checkmate Industries with ban statement
Borg Warner (BRW S-I)
Westinghouse (Bar W)
Westinghouse (W)

I have a UHC and an Atwood Vacuum comings in the mail too.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts