M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m learning about magazines and I got a few recently. I’d like some info on what I've got. I’ve looked at Emerson Guide and think these are real.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
Some lost soul took CMI manufactured magazines and stamped them BRW S-l, but the OP already knows that.

He even got a A and X stamped KMT mag.(made by KMT for Apex)
Actually Greg, the faked BRW magazines were stamped BRW S-1, not BRW S-l

REN

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,653 Posts
I think the CMI-BRW S-1 mags were GI mag bodies that CMI reparked and rebuilt with new internals, I bought 10 of them from "44Mag", they came in blue bags, I may still have one in the bag.

eQ

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
If memory serves me(unfortunately not always) these faked BRW magazines were made by CMI using CMI magazine bodies.

REN GI2

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If memory serves me(unfortunately not always) these faked BRW magazines were made by CMI using CMI magazine bodies.

REN GI2
Thanks for confirming what I thinking. I still don't understand why a company like CMI with a good reputation and their own history of gov contracts would "fake" another manufacturers mark on one of their mags. They did do a poor job faking the mark (presumably) on purpose, but it still begs the question.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Thanks for confirming what I thinking. I still don't understand why a company like CMI with a good reputation and their own history of gov contracts would "fake" another manufacturers mark on one of their mags. They did do a poor job faking the mark (presumably) on purpose, but it still begs the question.
Take a "commercial" magazine that cost $20-$30, remark it, and sell it as a USGI for $40-$50. One often encounters the same thing with "W" marked magazines. commercially made, stamped with a "W", and sold as USGI Winchester made.

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
These faked BRW magazines were ordered from CMI by an individual who sold them at gun shows. CMI received an order, filled the order, that’s called business. The individual presenting them as USGI was the culprit, which brings up an old adage...buyer be ware! Educate yourself and keep honest people honest, otherwise you will become a victim and you will have only yourself to blame!

REN

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These faked BRW magazines were ordered from CMI by an individual who sold them at gun shows. CMI received an order, filled the order, that’s called business. The individual presenting them as USGI was the culprit, which brings up an old adage...buyer be ware! Educate yourself and keep honest people honest, otherwise you will become a victim and you will have only yourself to blame!

REN
I understand CMI wanting to fill an order. Reputation and advertising matter too. I wouldn't want my business reputation to be associated with counterfeiting.

In my case the member I purchased them from offered to "make it right". I told him not to worry about it. He didn't know they were fake when selling and I didn't ask for pictures of the mags in advance. At the end of the day they are still CMI mags and CMI mags are quality US made mags. (maybe their reputation isn't tarnished that bad)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Not necessarily related to any of the mags pictured but who makes a 20 round mag with the rear magazine catch that's not really a rectangle and instead of sharp corners they were really rounded over. Almost like it was just a weld bead. I didn't see any makers marks on them. Some cheap chinese mags? Forgot to take pictures of them.

They were in a box of random mags at a local gun store. I bought the ones I knew were good. Brw-1 and two Springfield's at good prices.

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
Not necessarily related to any of the mags pictured but who makes a 20 round mag with the rear magazine catch that's not really a rectangle and instead of sharp corners they were really rounded over. Almost like it was just a weld bead. I didn't see any makers marks on them. Some cheap chinese mags? Forgot to take pictures of them.

They were in a box of random mags at a local gun store. I bought the ones I knew were good. Brw-1 and two Springfield's at good prices.
From what you described, not sure of the manufacturer but it could be a cheap Chinese magazine, pictures would be great.

If your BRW magazines are stamped BRW S-1 it is a fake it should be stamped

BRW S-l

The SAI. magazines are made by CMI. And are excellent.

REN

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From what you described, not sure of the manufacturer but it could be a cheap Chinese magazine, pictures would be great.

If your BRW magazines are stamped BRW S-1 it is a fake it should be stamped

BRW S-l

The SAI. magazines are made by CMI. And are excellent.

REN
I think you are referring to the 2010 Mega Mag Magazine. It's referenced starting on page 249 of Emerson's Magazine ID Guide.

Also, you can download a free copy of the guide here:
https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/lee-emerson/pictorial-m14-magazine-identification-guide-version-19/ebook/product-22539324.html

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
I think you are referring to the 2010 Mega Mag Magazine. It's referenced starting on page 249 of Emerson's Magazine ID Guide.

Also, you can download a free copy of the guide here:
https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/lee-emerson/pictorial-m14-magazine-identification-guide-version-19/ebook/product-22539324.html
Thanks, it could help if I wasn’t too lazy to get off the sofa, I keep it on my computer on the desk. If he’d post a picture I could tell in an instant, cause I have studied Lee’s guide on many different occasions.
With a picture we wouldn’t have to guess.
This an’t my first rodeo!

REN

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, it could help if I wasn’t too lazy to get off the sofa, I keep it on my computer on the desk. If he’d post a picture I could tell in an instant, cause I have studied Lee’s guide on many different occasions.
With a picture we wouldn’t have to guess.
This an’t my first rodeo!

REN
For new people like me Lee's manual is a great help.

It's been fun learning a new aspect of the hobby. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more GI mags and, admittedly, even the couple of fakes in this group are interesting to learn about. Lucidly not that big of a mistake for me, considering the price I paid and the fact that the mag bodies are from a quality company.

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
For new people like me Lee's manual is a great help.

It's been fun learning a new aspect of the hobby. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more GI mags and, admittedly, even the couple of fakes in this group are interesting to learn about. Lucidly not that big of a mistake for me, considering the price I paid and the fact that the mag bodies are from a quality company.
I would be a liar if I said I never bought anything fake or reproduced.

If you want to know whats real you need to study whats not and vise versa.

And like you said, everybody has a starting point, a learning curve, mine was a long time ago cause I am old.

REN

1 - 20 of 45 Posts