M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two new Springfield factory 10 rd magazines recently, directly from Springfield. I was finally able to get some range time this weekend so I took the new magazines along to ensure they worked properly. After loading the first magazine into the rifle, I released the bolt and the first round would not properly load. I cleared the rifle and tried again with the same result. I tried the second magazine and had the same result. I emptied both magazines, loaded one of them into the rifle empty and released the bolt. The bolt hung up on the rear of the follower, tilting and jamming it into the magazine body. Both had the same issue.

Anyone else have this problem? The only time I've seen this happen was in a friends Norinco with cheap 20 rd knockoffs. My rifle is a Springfield Scout Squad, and I swap it between a walnut and synthetic stock. I've put several hundred rounds through it using the other factory Springfield mags I own with zero issues. I did add a Smith bolt catch, but as for receiver mods thats it.

I've disassembled both magazines, cleaned and inspected them, but it doesn't look like they're any different than the others that work. These things are too pricey to say F it and forget about them. Thanks in advance...

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
From a strictly mechanical / logical point of view.

There are some changes that happened since you successfully put 1,000 rounds through the weapon..... What all has changed, other than the mags?

Possibly: Different ammo, someone else fired your weapon since you last used it, etc.

Will your weapon cycle properly with the older mags and the same ammo that jammed?
When you load only one round in the mag will it cycle and lock open?

Thanks,

Hobo

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do your old magazines work fine with the Smith bolt lock?

Is there any difference when using the other stock?
Yes, all of my older magazines work just fine with the Smith bolt catch.

The only difference between the stocks is that the synthetic has a slightly narrower opening for the mag well, but again the older magazines work just fine.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From a strictly mechanical / logical point of view.

There are some changes that happened since you successfully put 1,000 rounds through the weapon..... What all has changed, other than the mags?

Possibly: Different ammo, someone else fired your weapon since you last used it, etc.

Will your weapon cycle properly with the older mags and the same ammo that jammed?
When you load only one round in the mag will it cycle and lock open?

Thanks,

Hobo
The only changes that have been made while shooting over time have been the parts I swapped, Smith bolt catch and a Sadlak mag release. I do a quick clean after every range trip (bore, chamber, re-grease if needed) and have only stripped the rifle once to do a complete detailing. It's always clean while in the safe.

As for ammo it has been exclusively PMC, LC M80 and SA milsurp. I am yet to have any issues with any ammo, the rifles shoots it all well. My dad is the only other person to shoot the rifle, but I have shot it multiple times since he did and there have been no problems.

Yes, the older magazines work fine with the same ammo that did not feed in the new mags (PMC).

I have not tried loading a single live round to check to see if it cycles and the bolt locks. I have loaded several snap caps in both the new and old mags and hand cycled the action. The same malfunction happens nearly everytime in the new mags. The old mags work fine.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
As much as I hate to suggest "throwing more money" at the problem........ I'd purchase one brand new CMI mag ($25) and give it a try. If a new CMI cycles flawlessly........ I'd return the problem mags for a refund. In todays world, lots of things change in the supply chain. Perhaps the mags you got were not built by CMI.... Only a suggestion.

Hobo

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As much as I hate to suggest "throwing more money" at the problem........ I'd purchase one brand new CMI mag ($25) and give it a try. If a new CMI cycles flawlessly........ I'd return the problem mags for a refund. In todays world, lots of things change in the supply chain. Perhaps the mags you got were not built by CMI.... Only a suggestion.

Hobo
I plan on calling Springfield tomorrow to send back and exchange the malfunctioning magazines. I've only run the Springfield factory mags in this rifle, but I'll get a CMI and give them a try.

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
Unless there has been a recent change, CMI makes the mags for Springfield Armory. They put the SAI logo on them instead of their own, per contract.

Something here is amiss. Keep us posted. Perhaps there was a bad run.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Called Springfield this morning and got my RA number. They'll send me two new ones once they recieve the defective pair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.