M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here ever have a m1a w/ mag wobble? mine wobbles a bit and if i rack the bolt back it wobbles more. i looked at the op rod spring guide and i think it looks a little different from my other one on my other gun.

is this an issue w/ the spring guide?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The guide, or the geometry of the pin placement might not be dead on. I always use Sadlak's guide right off the bat. There is always going to be some movement.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Take it out and fit it to all your mags outside the rifle, check the teet protrusion into each mag, note any different dimensions and mark mags accordingly. I do not recommend it, but I customize my spring guide tips for quicker reloads at three gun matches. I have also had to customize different mags in the hole area and the back saddle at the top. I take off 1/8" of the very back at the top, around the U shape....makes for super fluid reloads.

Another place to check is the mag catch spring tension or wear of the top of it. Also check all mags for same location of locking tab welded on the back. Measure from the bottom of the mag to the bottom of lock tab, then the top of mag to bottom of tab, you will find your problem mags this way.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Hey, Rip, are you the resident " teet protrusion " expert? Glad to have one onboard FRG1

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. it is the the spring guide not the mags. i think im just going to get a sadlak guide. do they really make a difference in accuracy?

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I didn't see a difference in accuracy. Op rod feels smoother and mags lock in better though.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
anyone here ever have a m1a w/ mag wobble? mine wobbles a bit and if i rack the bolt back it wobbles more. i looked at the op rod spring guide and i think it looks a little different from my other one on my other gun.

is this an issue w/ the spring guide?
I assume you're using USGI magazines in good condition. The magazine needs to be a little "live" if you grab the bottom, inserted, and work it fore and aft. A stiff, dead magazine makes it hard to operate the action and may not load rounds well.

If your wobble is something else, like failure of your magazines to fully seat, you probably need to de-horn the sharp tip of the op rod spring guide that catches the magazine's square opening near the top. Just make the tip slightly rounded so the magazine can slip onto it easier, and it will.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, its like this:

when i put a mag in......the front nose of the mag barely makes a noise as it clicks in. the rear clicks solid into the trigger guard.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what is not normal, IMO, is when the mag is in, it wobbles more than a cheap AK mag. no m14 mag should wobble this much. im sure it functions ok (i just bought it used), but it is loud, listening to the rattle of the mag.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also have what I think is excessive wobble in both 20rnd mags.

I am trying to pinpoint the cause of misfeeds and think its the Mags and not a barrel alignment problem. I think the back of the Mag is dropping down after insertion so when the bolt cycles to feed another round it is trying to feed up a steep angle and the casing gets caught on the 'ramp divider' thingy, dimpling the casing.

I looked at my Mags and both tabs on the back are die-formed and not a welded block. Dont know the make of these mags but assumed they were SA since thats who my Dad bought it from.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to get this misfeed issue fixed. Hopefully som good CMI mags would fix it?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I also have what I think is excessive wobble in both 20rnd mags.

I am trying to pinpoint the cause of misfeeds and think its the Mags and not a barrel alignment problem. I think the back of the Mag is dropping down after insertion so when the bolt cycles to feed another round it is trying to feed up a steep angle and the casing gets caught on the 'ramp divider' thingy, dimpling the casing.

I looked at my Mags and both tabs on the back are die-formed and not a welded block. Dont know the make of these mags but assumed they were SA since thats who my Dad bought it from.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to get this misfeed issue fixed. Hopefully som good CMI mags would fix it?
Affirmative! You can't troubleshoot any feed problem without decent mags, which means USGI or equivalent. There's a .44Mag.com group buy of CMI mags coming.

And welcome to the forum, you're at the right place to learn about this platform! Stop in and introduce yourself in the Welcome Aboard subforum!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts