M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USN1dance2
Been lurking round here for a while as well as other forums. Seems this site has the most dedicated M1A/M14 folks there is, as well as being a great forum community. So.. I decided to take the plunge and join-up.

After several years of contemplation, research and waffeling around, i've decided that I'm gonna treat myself to what I believe is the best and most recognized military weapons platform ever built... "Drum Roll..." Yes, The M14!!

But still not sure which way to go. I really, really like the looks of the SAGE EBR but I keep being drawn to the traditional styling of the SA Scout/ SEI Crazy Horse. $$$ definately limited so for anything other than a basic rack rifle I'll be doing a build.

Trained on the 14 in service in the 80's and some recent range rounds with conventional mods. but have'nt fired any of the "SOPMOD" styles.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.
Thanks and Happy New Year To All.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Which do you prefer, a pistol grip stock or a traditional rifle stock? IMO, that is a critical decision from which to build your rifle upon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Check out the CMP M14 kits, they might be a good start for a build project. They run $622.95, a bolt around $225, and barrel $150-$200. LRB recievers are around $900, Fulton around $500. Im thinking ill be going with a LRB for my Winchester kit.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You might start with a conventional build and then move into a different platform after you have settled down to what you want. It's expensive to take the full plunge at one time. I started with an SAI loaded (so I would immediately have a good rifle to shoot) and then replaced the parts I wanted to, and added the parts I wanted to, and customized the parts I wanted to. Now I have the rifle I wanted and I have gained a lot of experience by doing the work myself at my own pace. The whole time I had a functional M1A to shoot with the guys at the range. Nothing so satisfying than looking at that rifle and seeing me all over it. Another thing you might consider is keeping an eye on the PX in this forum. Some mighty nice rifles come through here, and you can get the rifle with the upgrades already done. Good luck with your project, have fun.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You might start with a conventional build and then move into a different platform after you have settled down to what you want. It's expensive to take the full plunge at one time. I started with an SAI loaded (so I would immediately have a good rifle to shoot) and then replaced the parts I wanted to, and added the parts I wanted to, and customized the parts I wanted to. Now I have the rifle I wanted and I have gained a lot of experience by doing the work myself at my own pace. The whole time I had a functional M1A to shoot with the guys at the range. Nothing so satisfying than looking at that rifle and seeing me all over it. Another thing you might consider is keeping an eye on the PX in this forum. Some mighty nice rifles come through here, and you can get the rifle with the upgrades already done. Good luck with your project, have fun.
Welcome to the forum xsop87nav! Rawnerves just made a damn good suggestion, it's what I did also.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
xsop87nav !

Happy New Year and welcome to the Firing Line xsop87nav ! Vets are always welcome here and, hopefully, you'll share your experiences with the M14 with us.....this forum, and the folks that call this place "home", add another dimension to the M14/M1A experience. Again, welcome, Easy

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I'll add my .02 to a conventional rifle, either build or complete from the manufacturer. You won't want to get rid of it regardless of the platform you eventually choose.

Hey......Welcome to the Forum!

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
xsop87nav said:
Made My Decision.. M14 or Bust!!!

I don't know, if it's DD or better I would really have to think about it. GI2GI2 OK, OK, so it's not the best humor. Now the serious part, I started with an M1A, then I bought an M14 that I liked and then I built another M14 on an Armscorp frame. I suppose then I would recommend buy a nice operating piece and then start the building. By the time you get some brass laying on the ground you will have a better idea of what you want. GI2GI2

-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
M14 Or Bust

Thanks for chiming in so quick guys. Appreciate the welcome.

Just hope I can build 1 that will actually send a round. As for prefference, only fired conventional since service days. Hunting and some range time. I'm not a match shooter. Just wanting something to have fun with but with the best quality I can afford. Have several hunting rifles and really want a tactical style.

The welfare of the people should be the supreme law but if our parties loose sight of that basic principlal I think people like us can quickly remind them of it.USN1

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Food for thought! There are two group buys going on in the group buy section of the forum. One is for an LRB and the other is for a 7.62 receiver/barreled action. The actions include a bolt stop and clip guide on the LRB buy not sure of the details on the 7.62 buy but I think it is very similar. They are discounting barrels and you are basically getting the bolt lapped in and the barrel installed for free which is an150-200 dollar value. Not a bad deal if you plan on installing the rest of the components yourself. Oh and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Well here is my opinion, first buy a few parts kits while they are still available from CMP, LRB etc.

Than while you are saving for a receiver you can decide what stock to buy FIRST. I say first because like lays you can not have one, have fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
M14 Or Bust

Kinda thought that as long as the m1a/14 has been in service, and as many as have been made that parts would be easier to find than "lays" but "chips" are easier to find than these parts.

At least in quality and not necessarily quantity.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Which do you prefer, a pistol grip stock or a traditional rifle stock? IMO, that is a critical decision from which to build your rifle upon.
Ditto here!

We have members who are quite satisfied with the "Standard Model" M14/M1A; yet some prefer a mega-buck$ custom rig.
The sky is the limit; and so is the cost!

Lurk around the Forums for a bit, and read what other members have to say about their particular rifle. We have several site sponsors that are more than willing to help you along with the decision-making process, feel free to post, or PM with your questions. I've been here for a while, and I continue to always walk away with new intel, every time I visit!

The PX is also a good place to begin your search for a complete rifle, or parts/kits for your custom build. We have several builders in here, all of whom have built rifles for our members; from 'standard' rifles to custom rigs.

You may also want to visit Different's threads as well. Lee has compiled volumes of info on our beloved M-14, don't hesitate to spend a few hours giving them a good a read.

Good luck in your quest for your M-14 rifle!

Oh, and stock up on ammo, you're gonna need it!MCORPS1

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 1st

I decided to buy one from the PX here so I would get a decent shooter to start. Armscorp receiver wih USGI parts.

Now I have a shooter ( getting the GC unitized and a trigger job)

As I get funds available I will build another. God I love this platform. But I have sooo much to learn about it. Great forum AND a newbie like me can learn alot.

Never shot the M14 in the Army...M-16 qualified expert and never shot a rifle before the service (1970) I have a couple of the AR's, but this M1A seems to be my favorite battle rifle.

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Welcome!!!

+1 on the conventional rifle.

I understand that you have been military trained on the M14, but there has been alot that has happened over the years with mods & such.

I went with a used SAI standard to start with and have not regretted it for on second.

This forum has taken me in and I have done many mods to the rifle and I am just happy as "A Pig in Stink".

I'll be building another M1A rifle, but in the meantime, I've got a rifle that is accurate, has not malfunctioned, shows off at the range & gives me wood every time I pull her out of the bag.

Ole Silver

·
Registered
997 Posts
PM Sent

1+ on looking in the PX and other forums for built rifles for sale. You often pic up a built rilfe for less than the sum of its parts.

1+ on determining what kind of grip you prefer.

I want to add along with the stock, what do you want to be your primary sighting system? ...Optics or irons? knowing this will help you decide on a stock.

All that said... If you want to get into a rifle fast with something tactical in the future a 18" barreled rifle like the Springfield Scout or LRB Tanker is a great place to start.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I notice that you are from Birmingham, AL as am I. The Tactical Firearms on 31 south has a Standard M1A as well as an M21. I think the standard is $1425. Just FYI

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Just fork up a couple bucks and get the Socom II. I'm in love with it's sleak design and small feature changes, its a lot cleaner than a Socom 16, and much more portable than the match guns when brush hunting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts