M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’m Ed
I have A MA1 Springfield.
When shooting yesterday the rifle fired two shots when I fired a round.
Should I replace the sear and hammer?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Chances are you didn’t push the trigger down firmly enough and the recoil fired the second shot for you. A common thing to happen when new to the platform.

welcome!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
This also happens on my AK47 all the time if you "baby" the trigger! um......M1A.....not MA1 (y)

·
Registered
143 Posts
If it's a Springfield Armory gun the manual talks about "slam fire" and how to avoid it occurring. If you didn't get a manual with it you can download a .pdf copy from their website. You can also find information on here with a search or through the experienced members.

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
Odds are that you were "milking" the trigger, causing the rifle to double. The trigger needs to be pulled firmly to the rear, all the way.

However, you need to perform a function check...

Clear the rifle. Pull the trigger all the way to the rear and hold it. The hammer should fall.

While still holding the trigger to the rear, cycle the action with your other hand. When you release the trigger, you should hear a click as the hammer transitions from the rear hooks to the front. If the hammer falls, you have a dangerous mechanical issue.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
If it's a Springfield Armory gun the manual talks about "slam fire" and how to avoid it occurring. If you didn't get a manual with it you can download a .pdf copy from their website. You can also find information on here with a search or through the experienced members.
This is not a slam fire, slam fires are identified by the cartridge going off before the bolt is fully in battery, they typically result in broken rifle and/or body parts.

The OP, as stated already, is riding the trigger. He is not following through on his trigger squeeze and holding the trigger to the rear while the rifle recoils, he isn't controlling the trigger, the trigger is controlling him. This is common when a novice tries to shoot too quickly.

Under recoil, the rifle is moving backward while the trigger finger is not. When the rifle moves forward, while recovering from the recoil, the trigger pushes forward in to the shooter's trigger finger.

·
Premium Member
20,590 Posts
What RAMMAC said. You need to hang onto a battle rifle like you mean it and follow through on your trigger pull. Don't worry, most newbies have a few doubles before they learn the basics of the rifle. Now, put on your war face and give em the dickens.

Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Triangle Font

Reactions: lrsco
1 - 13 of 13 Posts