M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a mint condition M1A with a M14 walnut stock. It has the selector switch cutout. I hope somebody can give me more info on it. I was told it was the early "standard loaded" model made in 1996-97 only. SA is closed for the holiday today so I can't get info from them. I need to act fast before it's gone. Any thoughts would be helpful.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
It was a limited production GI-replica rifle, except it had a medium weight/contour NM barrel, IIRC. I'm going by product specs, not catalog number. It was/is a good rifle, a good platform to glass bed and accurize. Sharp-looking stick, too. I still own one, a couple other members here have picked 'em up. Reports have been good - keepers. Only negative was the "ban" flash suppressor with the bayo lug ground off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BD111, Am I doing OK with this rifle for $1050? Or am I better off kicking up a few hundred more for a new standard or a loaded standard? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I'd junp on it at that price!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Thanks BD111, Am I doing OK with this rifle for $1050? Or am I better off kicking up a few hundred more for a new standard or a loaded standard? Thanks.

Robo, I'd jump on it for that price. In that time frame SAI built a Model #9201 called the M1A Collector. Came with what looks to be an unissued USGI pristine wood stock, and a USGI fiberglass stock. 100% USGI parts except bbl./receiver. Medium wt. NM barrel. It seemed at that time that SAI had a surplus of USGI parts, so you might be pleasantly surprised. Dealer cost for the #9201 at that time was $978 from Bill Hicks & Co. Beautiful rifle and a good shooter. Perhaps this dealer will let you pull down the rifle to check for USGI parts before purchasing. Either way my guess is it has them. If this rifle isn't all shot out, it's still worth the price. dozier

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
I got one of those rifles. All USGI parts. Built it up into a NM rifle. That is a smokin' deal with a NM barrel and USGI parts.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I've got an M-1A built earlier than that and it's still unfired since purchased NIB in the Spring of 94 prior to the ban. It is full of USGI parts, TRW bolt, trigger group, op rod, sights, and a Winchester chrome lined barrel in a nice Bishop walnut stock with a USGI steel butt plate.

I paid the princely sum of $800.00 out the door for mine. I am saving mine to pass down to my two sons to fight over after I'm gone. I presently have three Polytech M-14S rifles for my own shooting pleasure.

I agree, I too wouldn't trade my still new preban M-1A for anything SAI is turning out these days.

7th

·
Registered
103 Posts
That rifle is selling for a mere $1050? As others have stated, I would jump on it at that price! The only Springfield Armory M1A I have seen selling in that price range was a Standard M1A that had been obviously abused by a previous owner (it had rust spots on it).

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you want an idea to the build date check out the sticky on these forums about serial numbers.

While it will have nice parts and all it might still be inaccurate as hell. Lots of fitment issues, loose gas cylinders, ect. Same thing as you still have today.

$1050 was the price I paid for a "Loaded" in 97 to give some reference to prices now and then.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I like to get the most in performance and accuracy out of my rifles so I glass-bedded and unitized the front end on mine, did a NM trigger job to 4.5 lbs. Only thing that looks non-retro from the outside is the stainless barrel (dulled down with 44 Magnum zylene-based magic marker). Springfield GI walnut stock. It's a shootin' SOB, easy handling. You can find an uncut USGI flash suppressor at your own pace. Invest in good magazines, ammo, and a good sling first off.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
It's a keeper robo60, jump for it now. You will be happier tomorrow for it.DI5

Reactions: robo60

·
Registered
264 Posts
I realize that this is an old thread however its applicable to a rifle I bought Friday. In fact I bought two from a gentleman local to me. I googled Model MA9201 and found this thread.
One was a Socom 16 however is a pristine 22” in a USGI walnut stock.
TRW trigger group, HRT bolt, WRA op rod
Neutered FH
Looks great

Springfield replied today that is a Model MA9201 made in 1997.

Pristine condition I feel very lucky.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I realize that this is an old thread however its applicable to a rifle I bought Friday. In fact I bought two from a gentleman local to me. I googled Model MA9201 and found this thread.
One was a Socom 16 however is a pristine 22” in a USGI walnut stock.
TRW trigger group, HRT bolt, WRA op rod
Neutered FH
Looks great

Springfield replied today that is a Model MA9201 made in 1997.

Pristine condition I feel very lucky.
Sounds great. Post photos please.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.