M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me anything about this scope? Specifically the lettering and number. I know the M1D part. Many thanks,

Charlie

another sn---

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Maintenance or Armory Storage personnel would remove the scopes to do corrective maintenance on the scopes or rifles or better protect the scopes in storage. Painting the rifle's serial number was one way they ensured the right scope and mount went back on the right rifle. They also used electric pencil engravers on some guns when they were available.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Surely those numbers stamped on the tube were there BEFORE the scope was assembled.

I had an M84 and the only number on it was the nameplate attached to the turret block. I don't recall any stamped numbers on the tube. Mine apparently wasn't committed to a relationship with only one rifle.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Looks to be a Danish issue scope. The "Nr" is the give away. A number of scoped Garands were supplied to Denmark after the war. Stamped number on the tube is more than likely the part drawing number. DI5

The maximum effective range of any weapon is where you can effectively engage the target.

JMPWNG2
ARMY1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts