M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Question up front, is the crack in the forend near the receiver area a show stopper? It doesn’t go through but did catch me off guard... I plan on bedding the rifle so should I keep the stock (it’s pretty rare and crack isn’t so bad) and forget about it or should I send it back? Justin at the company is awesome and they have a money back guarantee. This isn’t on them, just a bit more of a crack than I was prepared for.

(Edit) Here’s a link to the stock, I see the crack and it’s completely on me... prolly gonna keep it. So check out my new stock! Lol

https://pre64win.com/collections/stocks/products/post-war-marksman-rifle-stock
TIA,
Your forever newb and annoying question asker,
Russ

Attachments

Reactions: wiz1997

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
No; I would just get a wood clamp, and just let some CA glue run in the crack; than clamp with some padding so that you don't mark the stock; CA glue is about 10 min. set up time .
A brass pin you would have to drill thru the side of the stock;; and since you are going to bed it. The CA glue and the bedding will hold it together.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
If that is what you paid for it I wouldn't be very happy but it does warn of cracks. Looking closely at your pics, the wood almost looks like it is dry rotted in the recoil lug area, apparently its pretty old. Bedding will deal with most issues. Says out of stock so you wouldn't be able to exchange for another.

As far as dealing with the crack, the CA is probably as good as any fix, I would probably opt for a thin epoxy like penetrating epoxy, just a bit thicker and works it way into soft wood really well, its a favorite for boat repairs where soft wood is a reality of life.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the direction everyone. It’s probably gonna be CA glue and a clamp. Would it be better without the clamp? Maybe not induce stress back into the wood or is best practice the clamp?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
For that price, no way! Deal breaker there!
It's a great looking stock and probably be difficult to find another.

For those that have not looked at the link provided, the seller discloses the crack in the stock and provides pictures.

The buyer is building the firearm of his dreams so, what goes into fulfilling that dream is his decision.

Just guessing, but I don't believe this build will be to create a run of the mill firearm for plinking.

Just a bit biased towards the M70.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, I definitely overlooked the crack but I probably still would have pulled the trigger. It really is a hard to find stock. The seller is top notch. Great resource and good people with very fast communication.

It's a great looking stock and probably be difficult to find another.

For those that have not looked at the link provided, the seller discloses the crack in the stock and provides pictures.

The buyer is building the firearm of his dreams so, what goes into fulfilling that dream is his decision.

Just guessing, but I don't believe this build will be to create a run of the mill firearm for plinking.

Just a bit biased towards the M70.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.