M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up at a local gunshow. The scabbard is fake; green plastic body stamped "US M8A1" but no maker initials. Did not bother to post photo of it.

I wanted to verify that the bayonet itself is genuine. It appears to be new/unused, but I guess it could also be refiniished or assembled from parts. So, was hoping for some comments from the group.

Thanks- Mike

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The one thing from the picture that makes me wonder is how far away from the guard the bevel for the main edge stops. Usually about 1/3 that distance.
Best way to see what you've got is to remove the grips and look underneath.

The M5/M5A1 and the M6 used this patented keeper riveted to the knife tang on the real ones. If you find it spot welded you know it's a knock off.
The finish is applied to the blade prior to the final edge being applied.
If the knife is refinished that original final bevel line will get a coating of parkerizing instead of bare steel. That's one way to look for refinishing.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Something isn't quite right. The top bayonet is a naked M6 the bayonet on the bottom is a West German made M5A1 for commercial sale.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Top is a U.S. contract M5A1 bayonet. Bottom is a U.S. contract M6 bayonet.

Notice the metal tab on top of the tang near the front edge of the riveted guide blocks. The blade blank is stamped out with this tab. The picture you posted doesn't look like this tab is present. There does appear to be a round spot where the tab should be.
I'm starting to think this may have been assembled from parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It appears that evidence is mounting....main edge bevel distance, no riveted keeper and no tab on tang. Well, not the most expensive mistake I ever made and I learned quite a bit for the next one I look at. Thank you sac troop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.