M14 Forum banner

M40A3/5 build

2796 Views 19 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  omega762
Hi guys , I am in the middle of building a M40A3 , now I need to install the NV rail PGW and The unit that I received from PGW is 2 parts that attach with 6 screws , How can I install that into A4 Mcmillan stock ?

I called local gunsmith and he refused to touch the mcmilaln for any modification.

Any quotes?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
3,767 Posts
Badger ordnance used to have the template for the stock routing. Can't find it anymore. Here's some Photobucket pics of the template:

I ended up using a drill press and Dremel router to open my stock and bedded it with Marine-Tex. Since it's covered, no one sees how ugly it is.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
All I know is that USMC/PWS shop used a CNC program to make the specific cuts in the stock for the PGW rail. McMillian also uses a programmable CNC machine for cutting inlets in their stocks, and they have that program too. You'll need to call them, as another member noted.

...here's what the milling looks like with the bottom half of PGW installed and bedded
into the stock with MarineTex (this rifle was done at PWS/Quantico, VA years ago)

· Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kash,

Call McMillan. I bet they will do whatever work you want done.

Wes
It's very hard and super expensive to ship it back to USA from Canada , to receive is easy , US import is a hard process.

I might have to send PGW rail and order a new A4 stock installed and shipped at the front door ( cost cheaper that send 4lb stock with all paperwork and cost of broker + installation fee Mcmillan and same process to get it back , maybe takes over a year )

· Registered
189 Posts
Can I drill and screw it into the stock ?
No need to use screws, as per the TM and photos posted by others the lower half is just epoxied into the stock. Just make sure it’s centered and evenly spaced around your barrel and you’re GTG. If memory serves i pillar bedded mine first with masking tape to centre the barrel in the stock, then came back after and bedded the NV rail as a second step, again spaced with masking tape around the barrel to the inside the assembled NV rail.

· Registered
3,767 Posts
Can I drill and screw it into the stock ?
Drilling is no problem. The fiberglass is fairly thin, about 1/8 inch. The foam is dense but easy to drill/Dremel out. The only issue is that there is minimal clearance around the lower section of the PGW mount.

I placed the upper mount on the stock and scribed a line where to cut out the fiberglass.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
CNC machine ball-end milling info (metric unit of measurement given Canadian location):

....after proper ball-end milling operation:

...bottom installed and ready for bedding:

· Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Badger ordnance used to have the template for the stock routing. Can't find it anymore. Here's some Photobucket pics of the template:

I ended up using a drill press and Dremel router to open my stock and bedded it with Marine-Tex. Since it's covered, no one sees how ugly it is.
can you share some photos pls ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.