M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there are a couple of M40A1 threads on the forum, I thought I'll share mine.

On another forum, this M40A1 was auctioned off to help raise funds for a wounded Marine sniper. Here is the link to the auction.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1479596&page=1

To complement the Quantico built rifle I had a trainer built based on a USMC returned stock.

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

The real M40a1

The Trainer

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Nice equipment indeed!
+1! That she be. Quick Q for Bambam: Do you have a special magazine for the .22 to allow it to operate as a repeater or do you single load it? I've hunted high & low for a genuine 40X repeater but they're rare as hen's teeth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Two more M40A1's

M40A1
There are a couple more M40A1's in south texas. My friend has a Texas Brigade Armory by Lowe and I have a one built by a Quantico Armor. Both look the same except mine has a return stock with the certificate. I accuried some M118LR and some M118 Special Ball. Also hand load 43.1Grains of Reloader 15 with the 175MK in LR cases.
Mach 1 Stang

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1! That she be. Quick Q for Bambam: Do you have a special magazine for the .22 to allow it to operate as a repeater or do you single load it? I've hunted high & low for a genuine 40X repeater but they're rare as hen's teeth.
Just single loading it. You are right about 40X repeaters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my M40A1 from Texas Brigade Armory. I couldn't afford the U.S. Optic MST-100 scope with it though so I have a Leupold Mark 4 10x40 LR/T MIldot scope. I really wish I had the MST-100 though...

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for sharing. Definitely my next project, minus the Unertl, I can't afford one :(
If you do not want to venture on the 10X Unertle or the US Optics, the Weaver T10 is historically accurate. Even better, use the Redfield base and rings for the era. Picture is lifted from Senich book, One Round War. Maybe Gus can elaborate more on this limited run of M40A1s.

If you ever find a Unertle 10X and could not get the proper Unertle designed one piece base/rings, let me know, I have an extra one.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Back in 1977/1978 I was using a Weaver T10 on my 308 for Metalic Sillhouette competition.

While their lenses were not as good as the Leupolds of the era, the adjustments of the T 10's were not only spot on, they were very rugged, very repeatable.

I also used the Weaver T6 for 22 LR Silhouette, and later used a Weaver T16 on my 308.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Sweetness...
Very Nice rifles Nez. I had a custom 700 built to be "like" an M40A1 in 6BR. I won't bother polluting your thread with my rifle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts