M14 Forum banner

M40 range time in the North Florida heat and humidity

1248 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Phil “Murphy” McGrath
This is a few days late but I've been busy doing a bunch of nothin.
Last wednesday, a week ago I went out to my local club range for a bit of paper sniping with my buddy from Gainesville.
It was 93 at the range in the early afternoon , humidity was 78%ish.
Needless to say it was a bandana wearing, water chugging day.

The Badger Ordinance base and rings worked great, I laser bore sighted the scope at home so I was ready to go.
Two shots were low as I bore sighted at about 20 yards. Minor adjustment at 100 and it was better. 5 shots center, OK but not quite there yet.
Still not thinking about my finger position and breathing correctly like I use to. This getting old sucks in many ways.
All shooting was done off my buttpack.

I also shot my Colt AR-15 SP1 quite a bit too. It shot pretty good but I'm spoiled with the M40 clone.
All in the black with a couple of center shots out of 30 rounds fired hence the targets were not picture worthy IMO.
I shoot the iron sighted M1A/M14s way better than any ARs I have.
Also along for the trip was my .45 cal flintlock longrifle since I hadn't shot it for some time.
Still hits a paper plate off hand at 100 yds. which is fine with me. It's slow to load and shoot but lots of fun.

I've tried to find an original Protecto Kaddy case for my rifle for some time now but couldn't locate one that was long enough.
In my travels I ended up buying an SKB hardcase with no wheels. I saw a few nice ones by Pelican but they had wheels so no go for me.

I did find a Marbles brass, sectional cleaning rod set with the correct OD green canvas case with 9728 stamped on the cover per Chandlers book Death From Afar Vol. #1
I should have it next week.

A good time was had even though the I was "shot" from being out there for over 5 hours.
I use to work building swimming pools in south Florida back when I wore a younger mans clothes, no problem with the heat then.
Now it kicks my arse. Getting soft I guess.

Heres a couple of pics of the rifle, target and the case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,990 Posts
Looking good Pvt. Joker!

The M40 Replica is fun to shoot - it's like get back to basics buddy, put the crosshair on the target, squeeze the trigger and wham you hit the target! It's simple, but so cool with the wood stock and heavy barrel.

I love shooting mine it's one of my favorite weapons!

Good work - M1Army

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both.
I have a blast shooting them.
Its my "therapy" to compete against myself and helps get rid of some of the baggage I've carried for years.
That in itself is a long complicated tale.
Call it an escape if you will.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EVERYONE needs at least one and like my M14s, they need buddies !

· Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
EVERYONE needs at least one and like my M14s, they need buddies !

I blame Wes Howe 100% for my current addiction and bolt gun affliction..... It is all his fault for being the corrupter and chief, and there is his other cohort that goes by the handle of the third amego~ aka Tonyben.

Long story short a little snippet of the next boltgun project...

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I blame Wes Howe 100% for my current addiction and bolt gun affliction..... It is all his fault for being the corrupter and chief, and there is his other cohort that goes by the handle of the third amego~ aka Tonyben.

Long story short a little snippet of the next boltgun project... View attachment 432128

Thats sure a nice start to a project. What caliber ? .308 ?[/QUOTE]

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like your off to a prerfect stsrt. Can't wait to see her completed. Good luck on the build !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.