M14 Forum banner

M40 clone on GB, closing in 13 hours, over $5K!

2570 Views 53 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  usmcsgt0331

An admitted clone, scope (may) be original, or re anodized Gen 1. Early receiver, pre contract. Stock doesnt look right, especially the forward end of it.

Barrel is perhaps correct, dated '66 he says.
Reactions: usmchistorian
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Hello,
A lot of very good info on the Remington M40's and M40A1 rifles here. I've book marked this post, for sure. I have an 9/67 six digit SN 303xxx VS in 6 mm Remington, that I've been thinking about re-barreling to .308 just for kicks(after I shoot out the original and another low count barrel). The rifle is amazing and the factory trigger breaks like glass every time, so dependable...
Oh, and I lost track of who needed ammo for the 6mm Rem. but, I have plenty of new brass if you reload... Again, the knowledge found in this post is fantastic, thanks guys.
If you like the information here, the you'll like the information I posted in these other threads. In the first link I have posts on both pages of the thread. I own 2 original USMC M40's and provided a ton of photos and information, some of this information can only be found in these posts, it's not in any reference books.

Bought 2 USMC M40 Rifles off the forum

My rendition of an M40A1

· Registered
337 Posts
Within 3 weeks I received an offer for the 168,73X and well, had to buy it.o_O
The 168xxx rifles were the final test rifles/prototype M40's. Jim Land has one and Walter Walsh had one, I can't remember who else got to keep one. I've only been able to find proof of one of those 168xxx being turned into an actual M40 (the rest of them are literally just Remington BDL rifles with the pressed checkering and everything). I have the stock from M40 serial number 168333, which is only about 400 numbers away from your civilian receiver! The stock has waterproofing shellac and Bisonite bedding, which are 2112 armorer modifications, not something that was done at Remington. The stock is still matched with it's original butt plate, which is fairly rare for original M40 stocks. Here's some photos of that stock:

· Premium Member
5,897 Posts
The 168xxx rifles were the final test rifles/prototype M40's. Jim Land has one and Walter Walsh had one, I can't remember who else got to keep one. I've only been able to find proof of one of those 168xxx being turned into an actual M40 (the rest of them are literally just Remington BDL rifles with the pressed checkering and everything). I have the stock from M40 serial number 168333, which is only about 400 numbers away from your civilian receiver! The stock has waterproofing shellac and Bisonite bedding, which are 2112 armorer modifications, not something that was done at Remington. The stock is still matched with it's original butt plate, which is fairly rare for original M40 stocks. Here's some photos of that stock:

The list I have doesn't show 168,333. I know that doesn't mean much tho as prolly none of the lists are 110% accurate. I'd love to own that stock.. :eek:
List does show the following:
168,346 this rifle specifically mentioned/pictured and caption reads Remington Arms Co. photo, May 1966 and it sported a gloss black accurange scope.

· Registered
337 Posts
I would love to add more original parts to this rifle, ie: stock, scope, and base,, but as they became popular, it became a rich man's game. I do owe a big thank you to 1st usmchistorian for "daring me" to build it, and then usmcsgt0331 for all the info and photos he so freely shared on another forum.
I'm glad I could help you with information and photos for your build! I have no idea how many people have seen the M40 pics/info I've posted, but I've personally helped a few hundred people with their M40 and Mk13 builds. I really enjoy talking to other people who are interested in these same rifles! Let me know if you need any other photos or information from me on any future builds, I'd be happy to help!

Your comment about the M40's growing popularity reminded me of something that I've been told by quite a few people. Apparently I'm the reason why the M40 market blew up about 7 years ago and why the M40 prices skyrocketed. It seems kind of ridiculous, but it sort of makes sense after talking it through with some friends.

Since the common M40 reference books (Chandler, Senich, etc.) have grainy black and white photos, not too many people knew what things like the Redfield greenie scopes actually looked like. In fact, the whole reason why I started posting these detailed photos is because I couldn't find anything even remotely close to a good photograph of any real M40 parts!

My photographs were the very first high definition, full color photos to be shown publicly and posted on the internet. There were a few really color photos of greenies on the internet, but they were pretty low quality, I provided something better. So, I began filling in the major gaps in the collective M40 knowledge base with amazing photographs and new information that hadn't been published before.

Apparently the new pics and info educated thousands of collectors/historians/enthusiasts/veterans/etc. that saw my posts online. With this increase in knowledge come a massive boost in everyone's confidence to correctly identify real M40 parts, which led to people confidently spending higher amounts of money for genuine M40 parts. I think that the M40 market would have gotten to this point eventually, but apparently there was a catalyst that kicked it off sooner (me).

The funny thing is, I've also had people tell me that I also kicked off the Mk13 market because I had to find a way to sell most of the 155 original Mk13 Mod 0 stocks I had. Many collectors were familiar with the Mk13 Mod 5, but almost no one I talked to had ever heard of the Mod 0. So, it was actually quite difficult to convince collectors to buy an original SEAL used stock kit to a rifle that they had never heard of! It might seem ridiculous now, but 6 years ago in 2016 this is literally what I was faced with. It's a pretty interesting story I have about selling those stocks, but this is an M40 thread and I've already derailed it enough.

Here's some more M40 stuff to get this thread back on track:

The list I have doesn't show 168,333. I know that doesn't mean much tho as prolly none of the lists are 110% accurate. I'd love to own that stock.. :eek:
List does show the following:
168,346 this rifle specifically mentioned/pictured and caption reads Remington Arms Co. photo, May 1966 and it sported a gloss black accurange scope.
You are correct the list is incomplete, but I've found numerous M40 stocks and 40X bases that add additional M40's to Chandler's serial number list in DFA volume 1. The serial number on this stock is extremely close to M40 168346. That doesn't mean too much, but it's interesting that they're close. I also purchased this stock from Norm Chandler many years ago, so I know it's authentic.

I know you like this stock, but I actually have it paired up with a complete set of original M40 parts (scope, base, rings, barrel), so unfortunately it can't be separated. All this kit needs is a donor rifle in the correct serial number range and it's ready to be assembled into an M40 clone (the receiver, bolt and trigger being the only civilian parts). I had close to a dozen each of the vintage M40 parts listed above, so it just made sense to me to organize them into nice vintage USMC used M40 kits.

I've actually been selling and giving away some of the stuff in my M40 collection. In the past few months I've sold 3 complete M40 kits to collectors, they just need to be put together. I think I have about a half dozen more of these complete M40 parts kits, all they need is a donor rifle for the receiver, bolt and trigger.

Here's the most recent M40 kit I sold. Pretty bad photographs, but it's an amazing kit and I'm pretty sad to see it go. The scope and base are only 1 digit off from each other, so close to a match! I've actually had that happen a few times with these kits, lol. The stock isn't too far off from the scope and base too.

· Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Awesome set!! ^^^.. Just to add regarding my donor rifle. As mentioned, the sn is 168,73X. The original lightweight barrel to the rifle, when I checked the date code shows (I forget offhand exactly) the month was Sept, Oct or Nov 1965... It has the split sear, correct safety, and short collar on the bolt.
Also, I mentioned how I wasn't expecting to do an M40, but things just "fell into place." A guy had an ebay auction up for one of the scopes tokie had anodized . That scope sold for just over $1100. We chatted and he told me which gunsmith was doing his rifle. Conner (Celtic Rifles) who used to work at Texas brigade Armory. Arranged for him to do the cuts and US on my rifle. I have some pretty cool pics of the clip slot being done with an angle finder and such. The pics I have show mine and another bare receiver (the guy who sold the tokie scope) and it turned out our receivers are 1 digit away from each other.
Conner had a arrangement with a company that was doing anodizing for the govt. But as luck would have it, by the time I sent my scope to him that company had finished and would no longer anodize green. He had a scope that had been anodized but was way too yellow/gold that he gave me so I would have something for an upcoming living history display at Pres FD Roosevelts mansion. After the event I contacted tokie and had him redo the scope.
I did (thanks to usmchistorian) acquire a correct matte finish trigger housing/floorplate assembly.

· Registered
337 Posts
usmcsgt0331, was just going thru those other threads you posted in and am a tad bumbed now. While Conner took great care at centering the U.S. on my rifle, based on your observations using a straight edge, he marked it a little too low on my receiver.:cautious:

To be fair, Conner probably didn't have an original M40 laying around the shop to take measurements from on a whim. He was probably using a hand stamp and doing the best he could with the information he had. Remington, on the other hand, was using a fixture to properly hold the receivers so the roll die marked them in the perfect location everytime. I wouldn't be bummed out about it, but that could give you an excuse to build more M40's! I know where you can get an awesome parts kit to start your build! ;)

This also goes back to what I've said before about the information I've provided the community, no one else has tried to show the proper location of the US marking by lining up a ruler to the left edge of the receiver port. And this has turned out to be the easiest way to find the proper stamp location. I hope people make things earlier by using this information for their M40 builds!

· Premium Member
5,897 Posts

To be fair, Conner probably didn't have an original M40 laying around the shop to take measurements from on a whim. He was probably using a hand stamp and doing the best he could with the information he had. Remington, on the other hand, was using a fixture to properly hold the receivers so the roll die marked them in the perfect location everytime. I wouldn't be bummed out about it, but that could give you an excuse to build more M40's! I know where you can get an awesome parts kit to start your build! ;)

This also goes back to what I've said before about the information I've provided the community, no one else has tried to show the proper location of the US marking by lining up a ruler to the left edge of the receiver port. And this has turned out to be the easiest way to find the proper stamp location. I hope people make things earlier by using this information for their M40 builds!
Not hand stamped, not sure of the method. Almost looks like a tattoo machine was used.😅
Bicycle frame Bicycle part Carbon Rim Cylinder

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.