1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Popcorn1popcorn1popcorn1popcorn1

·
Registered
823 Posts
I disagree if you clean it daily it works just fine. Clean your mag springs weekly. Good to go. Kills just fine.

5,445 Posts
Umm... I prefer my M14 over my AR as far as reliability is concerned. My M14 doesn't jam nearly as often as my AR does.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_oWgdLQx1o#t=112"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_oWgdLQx1o#t=112[/ame]

·
Registered
20 Posts
How much does your AR jam? There might be a problem with it, over or undergassed or wrong buffer weight, or even your magazines. At any rate you do have to clean them more often than an M14/M1A.

I have to say going from the G3 to the HK416 in the guard was a godsend, the weight difference was phenomenal. It was also very reliable.

·
Registered
939 Posts
If your AR won't run dirty...or better said, flithy...add more oil and try again.

M4's work just fine. 5.56 NATO works just fine, especially with Mk262 and Mk318 loadings. Better yet, 70-grain Barnes TSX, but I digress.

Does someone need to make a better mousetrap? Absolutely...50 years with essentially the same rifle is madness. Having said that, I don't feel under-equipped with either my issued M4 or my LE6920 at the house.

YMMV.

·
Registered
814 Posts
ArmyCPT;1418547 M4's work just fine. 5.56 NATO works just fine said:
IMO, your post is spot-on. 5.56MM accuracy/terminal performance, or lack thereof, is all about the ammunition used. BHA MK 262 MOD 0/1 brought us never before seen 5.56MM accuracy. The Federal/ATK MK 318 MOD 0 is a barrier blind loading that will even work well when fired from a 10.0"/10.3"/10.5" barrel. And the DOD 5.56MM OPTIMIZED brown tip or similar commercial TSX loading yields excellent terminal performance with short neck/very deep penetration. Throw in the FFV/CG/NAMMO M995 or similar tungsten penetrator AP as a DOD/LE special purpose loading for use against body armor/hard targets. The original M193 loading was used successfully for decades but is now best suited as a practice round IMO. There is quite a bit of depth in the 5.56MM ammunition tool box. And the ammunition used makes or breaks the AR15/M16/M4 platform.

Edit: Water-Shot Expansion/Fragmentation Test Results Added:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Umm... I prefer my M14 over my AR as far as reliability is concerned. My M14 doesn't jam nearly as often as my AR does.
Since I switched from the M14 to the AR for match purposes, I've fired in excess of 7000 documented rounds through 3 barrels (I don't get to shoot as much as I should - mostly dryfiring and SCATT these days). I have had 1 failure due to a primer backing out and locking the trigger in that time. That is it.

I have had far more trouble with my M14 clone.

You have to clean both rifles. You have to properly lubricate both rifles. They both work fairly well.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not this sh!t again... POPCORN1
I totally agree. The M4 and the 5.56 does fine in the right hands. On the other hand, I know of a case where a vehicle gunner was killed when he could not get his M4 up in time and had to go to his pistol. While going for his pistol, he was then killed.

The M4 when properly maintained and lubricated does its job.

·
Registered
228 Posts
45 years ago, I was given an M16 in Vietnam. It was a "Life Taker. "Now back in the world, 45years later. I have something similar, almost exactly that same designed weapon. All my the ARs that I have owned in the past and to the present are Life Takers. I believe that's why I like them. I also really like my M14s and I know they are also "Life Takers". All the weapons that I have in my safe are dangerous and can cause a world of hurt. So does it really matter, M16A1-A2/M4/AR15/M14/M1A they will all put you in a world of hurt when you are on the receiving end...... Semper Fi

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Allow me to recommend the article in this month's American Rifleman about ballistics, handling, and practice with the AR platform carbines if you're just getting started. It's a good weapon but the effective range and training are so much different from the M1 and M14. I believe they all still have their utility in today's crazy world.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.