M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1941 Mosin Nagant and want to refinish the stock. I took off the steel and started to sand off the dark brown laquer. The wood underneath is very blotchy. Its hard to see the grain because there are so many dark blotchy areas. Has anyone refinished one of these stocks? Anyone know what kind of wood is used on this kind of rifle? Any hints on how to bring out the grain and reduce the dark spots? Any hints on what I sould use to treat the wood to complete the refinish?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
It was refinished. The Garnet Shellac was what it was supposed to be. The wood is probably Birch and the dark spots are the wood. The grain is very tight and hard to bring out. To complete the finish get some garnet shellac and denatured alcohol, mix and apply. 1941 M38s are a fairly rare rifle and you just cut the value in half.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are sold at local gun shows. I got mine approx. 3 years ago for $99. Mine is a carbine. Lately the going rate for the carbines is up a bit, maybe $200. The longer barrel Mosins still go for around $100. I'm not much of a collector, this was just an inexpensive knock-around gun thats fun to shoot. Great kick and muzzle blast. I haven't looked at the year of the others for sale but they all seem to be from the same era. Taking this apart is a learning experience. I didn't really think that I was risking destruction of a rare valuable piece.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i also have a m38, but have no idea on the type of wood. but if memory serves me right the original m38s came with laminated stocks and no cutout for a bayonet, and mine still hase the cleaning rod. but its good that you have one, cause i see them more rare than the m44 w/bayonet and still seeing them for sale at gun shops, and rearely you find the m38s.
be cool to see some pics of your m38 though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive attached some pics. note the one side that is as I've received it. The other side I've taken down to bare wood. you can see the discoloration. No

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Most of the M38's that I have seen have M44 stocks including the one I own.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, the M38 is fun. Does anybody have experience or tips on stock refinishing? Post #2 provided a suggestion, although I'm not really interested in retaining historical value, I want to end up with a nice refinished look that I like and did myself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ive attached some pics. note the one side that is as I've received it. The other side I've taken down to bare wood. you can see the discoloration. No
The discoloration in the wood is the wood it self, there is no way to remove it. The butt end of your stock has also been repaired at some point, thats the angled line you see on the butt end of the stock.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The butt is the way the factory made the stocks, mine looks the same as most all others usually do from Russia. The reason is it saved wood at a time when wood was very scarce to accuire readily. Your finish removal job looks great. A sanded in finish of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits is a great finish, easy to touch up and very durable. It does take more time to complete the finish then other methods though. If you shoot surplus ammo be sure to sopa and water the bore soon after shooting as the ammo is very corrosive. They are a fun gun to shoot. Have fun with it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts