M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever seen one of these?

It was being sold on e-bay a few months ago as some sort of special "sniper rest" for an original USGI M21 or M25 sniper version of the M14. I never saw one before or even heard of such a thing. The auction is long gone, but I did save the pics. I think it went for around $60.00 IIRC.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Now you have me wondering..........

Now that you have me wondering about these things, I checked on Ebay - $99 or so, I also found a place that has them listed for $6.50 plus shipping. I am curious about their history and the like........

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny, ... the one on the right looks exactly like the one in the e-bay auction.

http://www.championshooters.com/store/product.php?productid=436&cat=0&page=2

I wonder if there was really ever a military application? The fellow in the ad was really going on and on about how rare these things are and how they were the original piece issued with an M21, etc., ... sounded very convincing. I was a little suspicious, and didn't have the kind of money it was going for at the time so didn't bother throwing in a bid.

If it was phoey, I wish I would have brought it here sooner. I just tucked the pictures away and figured I'd ask when I got around to it and forgot about it until I was going through my pics folder today.

If they ever were issued to G.I.'s, I might spring for the $6.50 GI2 (forget the $99.00 version GI8 ). Don't think it would see much use though. That metal looks like it would play he!! with the finish on my hand rubbed walnut stock GI2

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Hi-Tech !!!

"...but I not familar with its use."
----------------------------------------------------------------
Bill...Apparently these are Highly Technical...PRECISION Instruments!!!

According to the web-site...You Stick Them In The Ground!!!

<LOL>

Maybe a guy could just bring one of those Antique Boot Jacks from the front porch at home !?

<G>

Cavman in Wyoming

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just did a quick look on e-bay (after the mention of one going for $99 above) and sure enough, looks like the same guy is selling another one with the same pics. The auction I got the pictures from was a good 3-4 months ago at least, so he must make a regular business of buying them for $6.50, adding a little "snake oil," and selling them on ebay for $99.00 DISHOUT

http://cgi.ebay.com/USGI-M14-M-14-SNIPER-RIFLE-FREELAND-REST-SUPPORT-RARE_W0QQitemZ320091930677QQcategoryZ587QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"This is the real deal, an original Freeland rifle rest or bipod/support. This was part of the issued feild gear for a sniper team. If you look in your vintage manuals you will see these listed with the M14 sniper rifle kit. Mint condition! This is a very rare find!"

Anybody seen this thing in their vintage manuals?

Strange though, ... after looking through the guys feedback, it looks like he mostly deals in very legit looking vintage camera and watch parts/equipment.

·
Registered
251 Posts
IMHO, These are just temporary rifle rests to keep your rifle off the ground prior to and after the prone stage of a match. Used mostly by the Smallbore crowd. I can't believe someone would pay $99 for one.
Mark

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It is indeed a simple rest that was available for service rifle shooters to rest their rifle in between different stages of the match. I remember seeing them when I was younger.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
We had a couple of M21 rifles in our company. Never seen these and don't believe they were issued for combat use. I wasn't on the shooting team while in service. No time. We also had plenty to carry without needing anything like that to add to the load. ARM25

·
Registered
288 Posts
I carried an M21 my first tour of Division...Never even saw one of those things 'til now.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I think there's a picture in Blake Stevens' book on the m14. I also think there's at least one picture in one of Senich's books on sniping where the complete kit is laid out. I'll look through my books and scan a picture
Part of the problem is some GI may have purchased it as a commercial "off the shelf item", it got into a book, and now it is gospel. I would like to see a contract, drawing number, or old federal stock number to assure it was a GI item.

To be honest I think something like this is totally useless in a combat sniper situation. Snipers are best when they can shoot without cumbersome aids and something else to carry around. If it were me, I would leave it in the rear area.

I have some sniper information here and one day I will look to see if anything shows up.

Not to pick on Senich, I applaud his knowledge of sniping. But like everybody else, he makes some mistakes. He shows a "Marine Sniper" in the Domincan Republic, which is actually a member of the 82d Abn Division. Actually the guy is from Alpha Company, 2/325th Airborne Infantry. I think he got that information from Tom Nelson's book on the Domican Republic deployment, which is also full of identification errors.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
The Marines also did not use the M1956 field gear the sniper was wearing. An amusing note is I knew the guy in the photo.

In Tom Nelson's book it also showed an M60 Machine Gun position and you can plainly see the 82d patch worn by the gunner. Nelson describes it as "A Marine Machine Gun Nest" or similar words.

·
Banned
430 Posts
This is a shooting rest made by a company that I think is still in business.
It was designed to sit the rifle on and hold the rifle off of the ground and action out of the dirt between match stages. It wasn't designed to shoot off of. It's way too short for that. The one pictured is missing the two pieces of tubing that protect the stock finish. I've still got a couple of these. There were two sizes. I need to reweld one of mine the next time I'm doing some aluminum.

Mine came direct from Uncle Al Freeland in Rock Island Illinois in either the 70's or 80's. Over the years, I probably went thru a half a dozen of these. They weren't real expensive. If you weren't careful, they'd break using a boot to push them into hard ground.

Al was probably one of the best known and longest lasting of the mail order target/match supplies dealers. One hell of a small bore shooter in his day too. He developed the Freeland "bipod" scope stand which is still pretty much standard for HP shooters and offered an extensive line of cuff type rifle slings.

I think that he was the originator of the polished stainless steel 03 Springfield stripper clips, too. I still have maybe 8 or 10 of those. He also made a hell of a line of tube sights, sight parts, sight bases, etc. etc. etc. I started drueling over his catalog when I was about 11 years old shooting small bore.

Al's been dead for some time now. His son Ted ran the business for a while and then sold off the machinery and products to other companies. They had a lot of obscure and hard to find items.

Al was a wonderful old guy.

nolan

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Interesting.

I found a free pdf file of TC 23-14 online, but it was the June 1989 version, not the October 1969 version. I wasn't able to find the '69 version. There was one place that had photocopies of the '69 version for sale for like $20.00. But, photo illustrations usually don't fare too well through the b&w photocopy process.

The photo posted above doesn't appear in the 1989 version.

I would be curious to see what the text of the 1969 version has to say about the use of the "Rifle Fork" pictured.

Perhaps they did see limited use for things like holding the snipers rifle out of the dirt while he was using binocs to search for targets, etc. Who knows?

Anyone have access to a copy of the 1969 TC?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts