M14 Forum banner

M21 rifle from smith ent.

1887 42
I’ve got a nice m21 rifle from smith ent and if anyone can give me any insight to what I might have I’d be very great full. I’m rather new to the world of m14s.
Air gun Trigger Wood Line Gun barrel
Liquid Drinkware Fluid Material property Drink
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is from there first production run, sometimes they also engraved a service branch seal on the back of the heel at the original buyers request. I see yours has one what is it? I’ve mostly seen the EGA done.
It has the United States Army seal. How do I know if it’s a first production run? I called smith ent and was told it was made for the editor of SWAT magazine. (Serial numbers very unique) I spoke with Ron Smith and he said he remembered making that for the editor.

· Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
I don’t know exactly what run it was made, but it’s early. By that I mean there very last run was done a number of years back, the heel on that run was very blocky with sharp square edges and a very unattractive Dot-matrix engraving that was later changed too a still very ugly stamping/engraving.

Your receiver has the older stylish and attractive heel markings of the late 80’s early 90’s, don’t fret it’s pre-ban if that is your concern. Is there anything stamped along the op-rod rail?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t know exactly what run it was made, but it’s early. By that I mean there very last run was done a number of years back, the heel on that run was very blocky with sharp square edges and a very unattractive Dot-matrix engraving that was later changed too a still very ugly stamping/engraving.

Your receiver has the older stylish and attractive heel markings of the late 80’s early 90’s, don’t fret it’s pre-ban if that is your concern. Is there anything stamped along the op-rod rail?
From what I can see it doesn’t. The bolt says trw though. I find it rather interesting that it says m21. I can’t seem to find any other rifle that says m21 that’s not a Springfield M1A m21

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Others have heels marked M21-DMR on forged receivers.
Those are the bula manufactured ones correct? I’ve seen a couple of those but they were not part of the original manufacturing groups of the m21 correct? RIA, Springfield, and smith ent. Are the ones who made the m21 for military as far as I can tell. I could be wrong. This is where I start to get confused with it all. Does this rifle hold any more value because it’s a earlier m21 from smith? My understanding that it’s not a military rifle and never was.

· Registered
2,607 Posts
Because some states banned rifles marked M14 there were manufactures who marked some with other designations like M21 to get around that ban. You are correct that was never a military rifle.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because some states banned rifles marked M14 there were manufactures who marked some with other designations like M21 to get around that ban. You are correct that was never a military rifle.
From what I have read from early smith ent m21s it seems that this rifle was made using mostly if not all gi parts with the exception for the receiver. The barrel is marked m118lr. Which is unique in the fact that it’s a specified load and not just a generic 762-51 round.

· Premium Member
22,387 Posts
From what I have read from early smith ent m21s it seems that this rifle was made using mostly if not all gi parts with the exception for the receiver. The barrel is marked m118lr. Which is unique in the fact that it’s a specified load and not just a generic 762-51 round.
I believe it is just a marketing ploy by commercial mfgs. All of my rifles are finish reamed using a Pacific Tool and Gauge M-118 reamer. Works for me. I have one SEI M-118 take off barrel that I use as a jig when I unitize gas systems. It has held up well with dozens of gas system done using it. Whatta Hobby!

Writing implement Wood Office supplies Office equipment Air gun
Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe it is just a marketing ploy by commercial mfgs. All of my rifles are finish reamed using a Pacific Tool and Gauge M-118 reamer. Works for me. I have one SEI M-118 take off barrel that I use as a jig when I unitize gas systems. It has held up well with dozens of gas system done using it. Whatta Hobby!

View attachment 496494 View attachment 496495
Wow that’s pretty insane! Is there any ammo in particular I should use with this m21 if I decide to shoot it?

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Several companies have used the M21 marking to get around state laws banning the M14. Such rifles have absolutely nothing to do with the US Army sniper rifle of the same name.

Smith put the M118LR marking on barrels throated for that cartridge, which used a 175gr SMK bullet. Any duplicate cartridge, such as the 175gr FGMM, will work the same.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Several companies have used the M21 marking to get around state laws banning the M14. Such rifles have absolutely nothing to do with the US Army sniper rifle of the same name.

Smith put the M118LR marking on barrels throated for that cartridge, which used a 175gr SMK bullet. Any duplicate cartridge, such as the 175gr FGMM, will work the same.
Got it good to know. So yesterday I called smith ENT. And ended up talking to Ron smith (the guy who built them) and I was told that the only difference between my m21 and the m21 crazy horse he did for the military (early 2000s) was that he cryogenically treated the barrels for the crazy horse and that wasn’t the case for this rifle.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just keep in mind that the "M21 Crazy Horse" rifles were DMR's and had absolutely nothing in common with the original US Army M21 sniper rifle that was in service 1968 to 1988.
So when it comes down to performance what do you think I should expect if I choose to shoot it. Is there any idea what this gun would be valued at? As I said before it was made for the editor of swat magazine in 1985 and has its own custom serial number
Wood Hardwood Art Brickwork Wood stain

Wood Air gun Tints and shades Shotgun Gun accessory

Wood Automotive exterior Automotive design Tints and shades Office equipment

Liquid Font Jewellery Human leg Automotive tire

Hand Gesture Gadget Office equipment Audio equipment

· Premium Member
22,387 Posts
Wow that’s pretty insane! Is there any ammo in particular I should use with this m21 if I decide to shoot it?
I have used just about everything in all of mine and haven't blown one up " yet ".
Some think the USGI fiberglass stock, like on your rifle, leave a lot to be desired. Personally, I have had really good luck with mine.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have used just about everything in all of mine and haven't blown one up " yet ".
Some think the USGI fiberglass stock, like on your rifle, leave a lot to be desired. Personally, I have had really good luck with mine.
What do you mean leave a lot to be desired? The stock feels very nice. The whole gun is balanced very well in my opinion. Still have not shot though

1 - 20 of 43 Posts