M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So before we get into the Why anyone would want to use the M1D style scope mount on an M1A, I want to get into the How can it mounted or is it possible? I’ve looked up everything I can about both the mount and the rifle and was easily able to find a repro mount and scope. The trouble I’m running into is I can’t find any info on the thread pitch and diameter of the mount screw or the mounting hole on the receiver of the rifle. Does anyone have any idea of if this could potentially work? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
Some early M14s were fitted with mounts by Griffen and Howe to accommodate the scopes that had previously been used on both the M1C and M1D rifles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some early M14s were fitted with mounts by Griffen and Howe to accommodate the scopes that had previously been used on both the M1C and M1D rifles.

Okay that looks like it’s in the right ballpark of what I’m looking for, but specifically I’m wondering if just the scope mount screw of the top M1D will fit into the hole of the receiver of the bottom M14 just like that G&H mount shown? I know it creates an issue of drift, being mounted off to the side like on the M1D, but that’s what I’m hoping to accomplish so I can still use my iron sights like normal. All the mounts available today either obstruct the iron sights completely, or they are so high you need a cheek riser which renders them mostly useless too. I included pictures for everyone to try and illustrate my intentions better.

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
"Drift" will be the least of your worries. With only one screw and without some engagement in the slot(s) on the receiver, there will be no hope of any semblance of stability. Interesting idea though, it would give you unobstructed access to the receiver.
Check out Redneck Yankee's mount on the PX. It sets the scope low and will facilitate access to the irons on all but the largest of scopes.
Welcome to the forum BTW. I was a Colorado mountain myself, for 20+ years. Fled when it got californicated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured the way the receiver is cut would cause some issues as well, but if the screw works, I could have one of my buddies weld some extra material onto the mount since repro mounts are under $50 at Numrich. They’re made of steel, so I could then file and hand fit the mount into place and re-parkerize it when I’m done. A lot of work to achieve what I want done, but may be worth it to have the M1D style on a truck/brush gun. I’m a native of CO myself and I hate what the Commies are doing to the state, but any time I run into one who says they moved to escape CA, I tell them, “then you better not vote for the same policies here that made California the way it is now.” Anyone who “flees” from their home state then moves and starts voting to make things just like home ought to be treated for the traditional, clinical definition of insanity.

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
IMHO, precisely locating the lugs to match the slots will be the bugaboo. It's the shortcoming of a lot of commercial mounts mated to "out of spec" receivers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That makes sense. At the bottom of the M1D mount there’s that “nubbin” that looks like it would mate perfectly into the horizontal slot on the receiver, albeit a fair bit short of filling the slot completely (what guy doesn’t have issues with this these days), but that could be the starting point for a hand fit job. I looked at redneck yankee’s mount and the thing is ingenious. I like the versatility, my only concern is like on some of the commercial mounts available, how do you prevent hot brass from flying at high speed into your scope body? While the optics I’m looking at from hi-lux aren’t the most expensive, the prospect of a 2¢ piece of brass striking the bottom of a $300+ scope repeatedly isn't something I like to think about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts