M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a complete detail strip/clean on my friends NM pre ban. There are more cast parts in his pre ban than my post ban made in 12-03!......I couldn't believe it......he did have a SA USGI bolt and lock bar rear sights. Other than that, all look cast to me. His SA NM M1A pre ban serial number is #028675. Like Forrest Gump once said,"Ya never know what ya gonna get"......................

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Milsurp:

Was that pre-ban an SA? And, was it originally sold as a NM or was it assembled. Just wondering.

Most of my older pre-ban NM rifles had USGI parts. I did notice that many of the parts were H&R parts. But on my NM rifles that were assembled and newer by SN, I have noticed that commerical parts have started to appear. I am also wondering about when did SA start using commerical parts or was it from the beginning?

But I also got barrels stamped NM but with no other markings... I really wish I knew who made these... the rifles shoot well, but I still would like to know.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom, aloha to you as well friend!.........the only markings on this SA marked rifle are the NM about 5 inches behind the front sight assembly directly at 12:00 position topside.........I broke it down and it did have a dash letter following the drawing number on the trigger housing indicating commercial manufacture......all in all a very nice rifle though.....since it is a NM, it does have bedding in the stock mag well area. Complete USGI bolt, SA. Commercial op rod, etc.........I would like to know the year of manufacture for that serial number range........you just never know I guess. Thankyou Tom for the reply...........

·
Registered
846 Posts
in the american rifleman article last summer. (or was it the year before?) SA said they have been making various parts on and off for over 20 years as supplies go up and down. unfortunatley they did not list what parts they made in the past.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
A rifle with that low a serial number should have USGI parts on it.
Did he buy it new or used??

I've seen M1A's with low numbers like that one at gun shows with SA commercial parts, ang guys must be switching out parts and selling the USGI parts seperately to make more money. :evil:

They still try to get $1500-$1700 for the rifle. :twisted:
You have to wonder what they're doing behind the scenes.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Read an evaluation of the Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A in the 'American Rifleman' back in the early 1980's. They said the rifle was assembled with a non USGI cast bolt and I think a non USGI cast trigger housing. I will look back in my old issues and see if I can find it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My preban M1A, S/N 24,XXX, was originally made with pretty much all cast/repro parts.

The barrel was chrome moly std weight (non-chrome lined), the op rod & trigger group were both SA Inc. repro. The bolt was TRW, but only because the previous owner had replaced it himself, the original bolt was SA Inc.

I think it all depended on parts availability at the time the rifle was built. /shrug

At any rate, it's all-USGI now. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bought my Scout in 96.After reading Mr. Duffs M1A book I found my bolt is forged.My Op. rod is forged and all the trigger parts and Op. rod are marked TRW or HR.Even the Op. rod spring guide is forged.Needless to say I was a happy camper.

Of course the receiver,barrel,and muzzle brake are commercial.

·
Registered
27 Posts
From what I hear all Bush and Scout barrels are not chrome lined and are new production SA barrels, not U.S.G.I.? Maybe I'm getting the wrong story. Anyway I just bought mine. New M1A standard, Synthetic U.S.G.I. stock and hand guard, U.S.G.I. Winchester barrel and trigger group, U.S.G.I. sights. SA forged bolt, SA op rod. I can't complain it's new, Most U.S.G.I. parts and most of all it's mine. Let me know if the Barrels on the Bush and Scout models are Chrome lined. later Billy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.