M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What reamer does Ted brown use for match xtc rifle? One barrel used obermeyer reamer. Worked fine, but a little too tight and 168 smk had to loaded to less than standard mag length until barrel had a lot of rounds. Any info would appreciate thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Ted built my first rifle many years ago. He used a M852 reamer, if I remember correctly, which is made for the 168 grain SMK. It's a great all-around chamber.

Hopefully he'll chime in soon.

Tony.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
One barrel used Obermeyer reamer. Worked fine, but a little too tight
Obermeyer's reamer is much tighter in every dimension: Body/chamber, shoulder, neck, and throat/leade. It is more common in International Palma bolt action rifles which use 155gr projectiles. It is not very common in M14's. However, I believe Jon Wolfe offers Obermeyer chambers as an option in his match barrels.

Edit: He does offer Obermeyer chambers with the admonishment that it is exclusively for the proficient reloaders.

252 Posts
Obermeyer's reamer is much tighter in every dimension: Body/chamber, shoulder, neck, and throat/leade. It is more common in International Palma bolt action rifles which use 155gr projectiles. It is not very common in M14's. However, I believe Jon Wolfe offers Obermeyer chambers as an option in his match barrels.

Edit: He does offer Obermeyer chambers with the admonishment that it is exclusively for the proficient reloaders.
I think Jon’s admonishment applies too his modified reamer, the Obermeyer reamer is optimized for the GI 173 bullet at 2.82 coal. Just like the M852 reamer is optimized for the 168SMK in its leade angle.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
What are your guy's thought's on the John Wolfe modified chamber? I have a Kreiger/heavy SS 1/11 ordered from him to be sent to Tony with HIS chamber which I WANT to try for sure! Not sure about the 1/11 twist though? Which bullet?

Jeff

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
What are your guy's thought's on the John Wolfe modified chamber? I have a Kreiger/heavy SS 1/11 ordered from him to be sent to Tony with HIS chamber which I WANT to try for sure! Not sure about the 1/11 twist though? Which bullet?

Jeff
Hype on the chamber. Marketing gimmick? What do you know about the difference over any other .308 chamber? Isn't that one of the ones that adds a bit to the throat for 175s?

1/11 should work really well for you Jeff.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
What are your guy's thought's on the John Wolfe modified chamber? Not sure about the 1/11 twist though? Which bullet?

Jeff
Your choices with Krieger barrels through Jon Wolfe are this chamber or the Obermeyer. As discussed, the Obermeyer chamber is a much tighter "match" chamber. I think the JW chamber will do very well for you since 98% of the success is based on barrel precision and the loose nut behind the trigger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts