M14 Forum banner

M1A Supermatch find.

2059 Views 23 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  jan1945
I am new to this Forum but have been a M1 collector for many years and recently have added this M1A to my stable. It is based on a 1992 Springfield Armory rear lugged receiver and has a heavy Douglas barrel. Since I live in the Columbus, Georgia area, the feedback has been that this rifle was built by a Ft Benning armorer. It has all the match modifications and includes many USGI Winchester parts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If SAI Customer Service confirms that your serial number is indeed a factory Super Match, then it was built in Glen Nelson's shop right there in Columbus.

I miss Columbus. Spent 85-86 there.
It is a SA Super Match according to them. I suspect that Glen Nelson built it but there is a possibility that Gerald "Hook" Boutin built it too.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a SA Super Match according to them. I suspect that Glen Nelson built it but there is a possibility that Gerald "Hook" Boutin built it too.
The rifle came with two stocks, one a heavy walnut match version fully bedded and the other a very heavy fiberglass version fully bedded. The fit and finish is excellent on both stocks.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SAI with be able to tell you which stock is factory. I suspect the wood. Post photos.
I tend to agree with you and the penciled in two-digit number on the wood stock is consistent with other Glenn Nelson rifles I have seen. They are both identically bedded, and I mean down to the smallest detail.

· Registered
337 Posts
very nice

· Registered
90 Posts
I am new to this Forum but have been a M1 collector for many years and recently have added this M1A to my stable. It is based on a 1992 Springfield Armory rear lugged receiver and has a heavy Douglas barrel. Since I live in the Columbus, Georgia area, the feedback has been that this rifle was built by a Ft Benning armorer. It has all the match modifications and includes many USGI Winchester parts.

· Retired Admin
I lost all my firearms in the Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
22,991 Posts
A beautiful find.

XXIV Corps

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If SAI Customer Service confirms that your serial number is indeed a factory Super Match, then it was built in Glen Nelson's shop right there in Columbus.

I miss Columbus. Spent 85-86 there.
Thanks for your insights. You have confirmed my suspicions of the M1A origin. It is interesting that SAI sent barrel receivers to Glenn Nelson's shop and when completed they were sent back to SAI main facility. Basically, as I understand it, Glenn Nelson's shop built all the Super Matches during that period of time. Columbus has changed and has turned out to be a very interesting city with a revitalized downtown area.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts