M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings gentlemen, I apologize for the totally newbie question! Recently I went thru the army rifle qual with the m16a2 and was wondering afterwards what the proper stock weld for the m1a/m14 is, as I will be purchasing one soon. On the m16 we are taught to put our nose to the charging handle to get a consistent sight picture...All fine on dandy on a mild recoiling rifle, but i have a feeling that the nose to reciever heel on the m1a would give you a black eye. So how do you guys get a consistent sight picture without taping a pad/guide onto the stock? Is there some trick like the nose to handle technique?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
414 Posts
The tried and true way is to touch your nose to your thumb which is in position at the rear of the reciever if you are properly gripping the rifle with your right hand.

This isn't the only way.

geiman

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
nose to your thumb

My cheek is often on my thumb (no, I don't mean sitting on my a$$!).

When slung up tight in prone, you can get away with nose on side of rcvr, but be careful!

Dave

·
Registered
947 Posts
Cheek weld is the standard battlesight shooting method for the M1 and M14. Your cheek bone (just below your eye) will contact the upper knuckle (for want of a medical term) of your thumb as your shooting hand grasps the stock.

Try it, it'l be natural quickly.

-- Chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.