M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I sitll am trying to decide what rifle to get for Xmas. I really want a M1A. But I can only afford either the Standard, or the Scout.

I keep reading about USGI parts and the lack of them in the Scout and Standard models. For just a weekend shooter, will the Scout or Standard be alright?

Im looking for a reliable rifle. That's my #1 concern.

Im leaning towards the Standard even though Im not sure if I like the 22" barrel. But if I get the Standard then I'll be able to get a bit more ammo.

While we're on the subject of the ammo, what ammo should I get for it, and where should I get it from? I have about $600 for my first batch of ammo. I'm going to save the brass and then get reloading equipment next year.

So is the Standard still a good rifle? Will a simple weekend shooter looking for a fun, reliable rifle be happy with it?

Thanks,
Coby

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought my new M1A standard/walnut last week and she gets out of jail this Friday(California stupid laws) I picked up some new Winchester Nato rounds at a gun show. If this is going to be a weekend rifle (normal use) and not something your going to take into battle you will be just fine. Go get your M1A and enjoy.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I think you'll find a bunch of us prefer the 18" barrel. If it's just going to be a target gun I'd get the 22". But if it's going out to the field the shorter barrel is more convenient. I wouldn't even think about swapping my Bush model for a standard.

Scroll down and you'll find a survey on Springfield dependability.I think some of the "custom" guns would be nice but for what you describe a Springfield should readily do the job. Spend some time on the PX forum here and you'll probably get a great deal.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'd rather have the Scout, I guess Ill get the $1450 Scout on Buds Gun Shop, and still have enough for 1000x .308.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Coby, go with the one you want now, you may not be able to get another for some time. Most of the guy are going with the short stuff lately. I like the 22" myself but it's more important what you like. The Scout is a really nice rifle and will be good to build on for many years to come. Don't worry about usgi parts right now, all that can come later. Happy shopping.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I had a 22" barrel originally and swapped it for the 18.5". No regrets at all, love the shorter barrel setup.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You cant compete in the Service Rifle category with a scout, in both NRA or EIC matches, if you ever plan to. You will have to compete as a match rifle with the scout, and be prepared to take a thumping...

My recommendation for a first rifle, an "M14 type" rifle, is get as close to original as possible, unless you have a specific need like hog hunting in dense vegetation or kicking doors in or something. You can always modify it later to something more tacticool...

And Im gonna say this, you will lose effective range with a shorter barreled rifle. Period, end of story... Ok let the bloodbath begin... but its not only true, its a fact...

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
And Im gonna say this, you will lose effective range with a shorter barreled rifle. Period, end of story... Ok let the bloodbath begin... but its not only true, its a fact...
What's your proof?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
You cant compete in the Service Rifle category with a scout, in both NRA or EIC matches, if you ever plan to. You will have to compete as a match rifle with the scout, and be prepared to take a thumping...
True, but would you recommend a Standard to compete in matches? I think you'd take the same beating... And match tuning isn't cheap.

My recommendation for a first rifle, an "M14 type" rifle, is get as close to original as possible, unless you have a specific need like hog hunting in dense vegetation or kicking doors in or something. You can always modify it later to something more tacticool...
Good advice but a Scout can probably bring in more cash in resale than a Standard in the event you decide it's not for you. Then it's easier to move from a Scout to a Standard.

It is true, you lose about 200 to 400 yards of effective range bringing it down to 600 to 800 yards depending on ammo. If you just gotta shoot out to 1000 yards then you have to get a 22" barrel. If you want to shoot out to 1000 yards accurately you should get a SuperMatch and 175gr match ammo.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i went with the 22" barrel becuse i got a good deal on a used rifle. but it felt too long for me so i just bought a used 18" bush rifle here from the px. if your not going to compete in matches i think the 18" would be fine. it just going to be a bit more handier in the field. i can't see shooting much past 500 yards and 18" should be able to handle that, although i don't know if i can handle that.lol good call with the ammo as you will need it if you want to really get good with and enjoy this rifle.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I started with a Scout, and if I was starting over today I'd do the same. 400 yards is more than enough for anything I do. The problem with these rifles, though, is that it's hard to be happy in the long run with just one.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
IMHO get the one you feel you will shoot the most now. As has been mentioned you may well find yourself filling the void of the longer/shorter barrel version in the future

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have a mid 80's Springfield M1A Match that has a 22" barrel. It is a very good for High Power matches, and very accurate (MOA) given the correct handloads, or Federal Match ammo. Ball ammo gives average accuracy, as usual.

I also have an LRB with an 18.5" Criterion chrome lined barrel. It is very handy in the hunting fields, and surprisingly accurate (1 MOA) with correct handloads, but only average with ball. By average, I mean 2-3 MOA with Brit Radway Green; better with some lots, worse with others.

The LRB is also a more reliable platform for mounting optics, as the receiver is closer to original spec. I have a Sadlak Airborne Mount and a Burris XT 1.5x6 which is a great combo.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the LRB and the 18.5" barrel every time. As was previously stated, you MIGHT lose some long range capability, but IMO, unless you're going to be routinely shooting over 600 yards, you haven't lost anything by choosing the shorter barrel.

Regarding ammunition, if it were me I'd spend it on some Black Hills Match, or Federal Match. Both are outstanding. The Federal brass tends to be softer than others and in my experience gives fewer reloads before primer pockets are too loose, but it is still good enough to load at least three times if reasonable loads are used. That's the downside. The upside is that the match ammo is top notch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies guys.

Ill probably shoot 500 yards at the most, and as crazy as it may seem, accuracy isnt a huge deal to me. I mean yeah, I want to hit what Im aiming at, but I wont be overly concerned with exactly how accurate it is.

My plan for the rifle is to eventually get a Sadlak mount and a good 1-4x scope.

As far as ammo goes, I dont want to spend a ton on it. I dont need crazy accurate ammo at first. Ill have about $500 for ammo if I get the Scout and that should be able to get about 1000x of decent .308, right?

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Go to the Ammo forum here and look at the stickie for cheapest ammo. It's updated daily. $500 will definitely get you 1,000 rounds.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
My 22" standard is a beast.
I say standard first, then scout.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Because of a deal I couldn't walk away from, my new toy is a Scout. In the past, I've had several M1As but this Scout has been the most fun. Honestly, the shorter barrel is not what made it my favorite.

My Scout is the only one I ever tore down to pieces using the guidance of the stickies and help from the members here on TFL. Getting to know all the pieces and how they interact is what made it for me.

That said, whichever rifle you choose... tear it down completely, clean and grease it all. If it is like my SA was, the bolt's innards will be bone dry. Once getting to know your new stick, you'll enjoy it a LOT more and know what it likes too.

Go on and order a shim kit now. Best $15 investment you will make. ENJOY!! BEERCHUG1

1 - 20 of 36 Posts