M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me M1a with a SAK barrel looks hardly used . I don't have gages.
My question is;
Why would the spent (port. surplus) nato brass have a sharp ring around the base of the neck right at the start of the shoulder ? Only does it in this one rifle. Another rifle I have with a SAK barrel does not do it ,at least not as pronounced.
This is a sharp ring you can feel with your finger nail and see clearly.
I'm thinking a very new barrel. (I hope). Needs shot more?
Loaded round chambers fine.
LMK What your thoughts are.
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have a new to me M1a with a SAK barrel looks hardly used . I don't have gages.
My question is;
Why would the spent (port. surplus) nato brass have a sharp ring around the base of the neck right at the start of the shoulder ? Only does it in this one rifle. Another rifle I have with a SAK barrel does not do it ,at least not as pronounced.
Thanks
Dan
If you can provide a picture of the "ring"
If the barrel had the chamber recut to install the ring could be from the 2 different chamber cuts.

Jim

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Definitely need pictures here

·
Registered
914 Posts
Bad chambering job, or incorrect re-chambering clean-up. Or using two different chambering reamers (for instance, I once had a customer's rifle that had been chambered in 7 X 57 Ackley, but the gunsmith used, first, a .257 Roberts Ackley reamer, and then finished it with a 7mm throat reamer! Quite the bizarre chamber! Oh, and the fired brass had a ring like you describe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My question is;
Thanks
Dan
Thanks all
sorry can't post pics.
The ring does'nt / isn't a problem does'nt look like a separation hazard or anything like that.
The barrel / chamber is chrome lined so any chamber reaming had to be done when the barrel was made . I used a mic. on the spent case from both my SAK barrels and they are identical in measurments in the shoulder and neck area. inside and out.
Just a tight chamber I guess. Each rifle has it's own identity.
Thanks all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.