M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of mounting an optic on my Socom 16 on the SA provided forward mounted scout rifle style picitiny rail. The big question I have is that this is my 4th M1A and when I'm on the range with this rifle I'll be 60rds down and the rail is so hot you can see the oil smoking off it from its last cleaning.

I'm hesitant to mount an expensive extended eye relief optic on it not knowing how this heat will conduct through the rings to the optic, and how will it affect the optic.

Has anyone had any negative exp in this matter or are my concerns unfounded? Thanks

·
Forum Jester
8,444 Posts
leatherwood 2x7 or burris. you would have to be in one helluva firefight to begin making any difference

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
The only thing the forward rail ever hurt of mine was my hand.

I've never heard of an optic crapping out from it, but I would with an optic that doesn't require a battery or definitely check the specs of temperature for your optic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Look at the GG&G scout rail, has a longer rail going back toward the bolt area. Moves the optic back towards the shooter much more than the SA stock rail mount. Holds the optic out in the cooler air, not right over the barrel or touching very close to the barrel. I have fired 60 rounds in about 30 minutes and the optic remained cool. Closer I checked going up the rail the warmer it got, until hot at the barrel clamp. I believe this will prolong the optic and also moves it closer to my old eyes. So Far it works great. Check out my thread in the " Optics " part of the forum.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I've read of the stock SAI forward rail getting wonky from rapid fire heat but not optics. I have a Vortex Strikefire II without issue but I don't do mag dumps or rapid as you describe.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
No problems with heat on my factory scout rail on my SOCOM with a leupold vx-ii 1.5-4 optic on it. I haven't been in any firefights with it but at the range you won't have any issues. If you're going with a scout setup, medium leuopold rings on the factory scout rail will put you at a good height. I found no need to spend more on an ultimak (which allows you to co-witness) or other aftermarket rail for my use. The GG&G allows you to use your irons with the optic mounted but I just put QRW rings on and it is a moot point to remove the optic for irons.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I run an Aimpoint T-1 micro on an American Defense "low" quick-release mount, a Burris 2-7x scout scope on low Leupold QWR rings, and a Leupold 2.75x scout scope also on Leupold QWR low rings. All three optics have held up to the heat pretty well all year. I haven't heated up the Burris too much, as I mainly use it for cranking up to higher magnifications for testing ammo, but I've gotten the Leupold scout scope and the Aimpoint pretty toasty, without issues. I really like the factory mount. I think most folks' problem with the mount is that they don't center it where it belongs, locktite the bolts, and torque them down evenly, to make sure it won't move, and that it has even clamping pressure. Most folks also don't realize that their op rod might not be clearing the scout scope mount properly, and if the op rod is hitting it, they will have more unnecessary accuracy issues and/or function issues. Still more folks use rings that are too high, and will then need a cheek riser. I do not need a cheek riser, with the low Aimpoint mount, OR with the low Leupold scope rings.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Most folks also don't realize that their op rod might not be clearing the scout scope mount properly, and if the op rod is hitting it, they will have more unnecessary accuracy issues and/or function issues.
+1. My op rod was nicking the mount from the factory. I pulled the silly heatsink off, anyway... but that's me.

Reactions: conditionone

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Also running the Burris 2X7 on two of my Scout rifles with zero issues regarding heating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.