M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my socom 16 decked out how I wanted it and took it to the range to see what it was made of! My setup is a steel Sadlak scope mount, steel TPS low rings and a Leupold V-X2 1-4 scope. After taking the advice of many shooters on this blog I ordered a box of Hornady 155 gr. BTBP match ammo. The results I got were spectacular! I averaged a 1.5 mo a! And in my book being able to repeatedly hit an apple sized target at 100 yds with a battle rifle is dang good! I wanted to share this with yall to put to rest some spotty accuracy claims that I have read on this page as well as other websites. The Socom 16 is not going to preform like a tack driving deer rifle or sniper rifle. And with that being said it's important to understand that the short barreled, grab n' go socom 16 is made to kill Americas enemies from an average of 0-300 yds. Now that doesnt mean you can shoot effectivly at farther distances. It just means that it is not designed have sub MOA out of the box at 100yds.So for a ruff and tuff rifle that can withstand all the abuse of the elements with very little mantinence ( unlike most ARs), and give you good accuracy what's not to love! So to all you out there thinking of getting a 16 of your own, DO IT! You will not regret it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir! I just wanted to let folks know my experience with the rifle. I couldn't believe the posts of people only being able to get 3 or 4 MOA out of a $1600 rifle. Now with iron sights I believe it but any upgrade in sights should make a huge difference. I suspect the majority of the problem is the fellas pulling the trigger lol!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Great work!

I’ve been having great success with my TR24 atop the Socom 16. In fact, I’m starting to wonder if more magnification might be worth it.

Almost exclusively hand loads, but I’ve gotten 1.25” out of 175 grain ‘pull downs’ pushed by 39.0 grains of IMR 3031 in LC cases. This was a 10 shot group, backed by another and then several 5 shot groups. I’ve been thinking of trying out the 155’s but so far I’m finding better deals on 168 grain pills.

I’m still working on the 168 pills, right now they’re printing at 1.5 - 2.0 at 100 yards. I know there’s more accuracy in the load, I’m just still chasing it. In fact I just had it in the local indoor range, and 10 shots by 50 yards wasn’t quite as good as the last time out. Still good, but I think it would be a stretch to have gotten 1.5 moa from that session. I think this may be recipe, because my Savage bolt action doesn’t print any better with these. Though that’s not necessarily a great indicator of load goodness. My Savage absolutely hates the 175 load with IMR4895; 3 MOA plus, from a rest. consistently. The Socom does 1.5” with the same load. GI3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.