M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are lots of shooting schools out there, but I could only find one that has a class dedicated to the M1A. Tac-fire.com out in California. They have no classes scheduled this year.

Is anyone aware of a school that has classes exclusively for the M1A?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Fundamentals of marksmanship and tactics apply across platforms. Perhaps just take your M14 to a tactical course of your choosing.

Reactions: Loucleve

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
A C&R or Highpower NRA match will be the best way to learn the rifle. Tactical would be a second choice, though not really about marksmanship.

What are you wanting to do? Just be better shot and learn the mechanics?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
As suggested above, find a club/range that conducts High Power matches and am sure you would find experienced shooters there that are usually more than happy to explain all the features, functions, etc. of the M1A/M14 rifle. Even if your goal is casual or tactical shooting with your rifle the information you can learn in these matches will serve you well for whatever use you plan with the rifle. Maintenance, reloading, sling use, trigger control, sight corrections-elevation/wind adj.- are topics most experienced users are well versed. Personally I can't think of a better way to familiarize yourself with the M1A/M14 than attending a High Power match and if you can find a shooter there that has a Master or High Master rating, much to be gained from those folks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks guys. I do have a 300 yard range available (not close, unfortunately) where I can likely find some good experience. Thats a solid suggestion.

I will also visit the Gunsite site and check it out.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very interesting, for the real enthusiast.

Gunsite Academy has a Battle Rifle cclass specifically for 30 cal rifles.

quote:

Battle Rifle

Battle Rifle is a 5 day course designed for .30 battle rifles. Weapons like the Garand, M14/M1A variants, AR10/SR25/OBR variants and FN FAL are appropriate

5 days, $1645. Not cheap, for certain.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Can't imagine a more rudimentary or direct training course for the civilian than Appleseed. The techniques are directly derived from military marksmanship and apply very quickly to M1 and M1A basic shooting skills.

Of course, they pretty much work for any rifle, but if you don't have the time or money to spend at a retreat or contact with an NRA club, Appleseed is a great first step.

·
Registered
532 Posts
CMP match or clinic would be good place to learn also. Check at odcmp.com and go to competition tracker. Enter your state and you will find some matches.

·
Registered
708 Posts

quote:

Battle Rifle

Battle Rifle is a 5 day course designed for .30 battle rifles. Weapons like the Garand, M14/M1A variants, AR10/SR25/OBR variants and FN FAL are appropriate

For that kinda "bread" (dough) I could buy another rifle. Find someone local that teaches fundamentals, then train the fundamentals.

·
Registered
531 Posts

quote:

Battle Rifle

DAAAAANNNNG! Can anyone speak of this class with experience? Thats my Nightforce scope I need for my elk hunt. GI3 Then to top it off with 1000 rounds. And I got it easy being a short drive away.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Academi in North Carolina offers a "Precision Rifle" class. Match grade semi auto .308s recommended, .556 is not recommended due to distances being shot.

Magpul Dynamics offers a DMR/SPR class. M1a's are explicitly mentioned in the course discription.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Save your money. Go to your favorite shooting range, sit there and be quiet, look at how other people shoot. Observe them, do not disturb them until the break. Then pick and choose the things you like about what you saw and learned, and do not use the things you don't like.

And if you have friends and or make new friends, then you can further learn and add to your skill set. There is no magic pill concerning marksmanship on any weapon system, just hands on use and practice over time you will master it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Can't imagine a more rudimentary or direct training course for the civilian than Appleseed. The techniques are directly derived from military marksmanship and apply very quickly to M1 and M1A basic shooting skills.

Of course, they pretty much work for any rifle, but if you don't have the time or money to spend at a retreat or contact with an NRA club, Appleseed is a great first step.
My thoughts as well...will be taking my second Appleseed this fall...

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Appleseed. Fundamentals. Two days, about 1/20th of the cost of the big class mentioned above. You might have to go to two or three of them to get it all to sink in and put in practice.

They used to say, "Appleseed, it's like trying to drink from a firehose." Lots of good information, lots of good techniques, lots of good people.

They'd be tickled to see someone actually shooting a .30 caliber rifle. A few years back, most folks were bringing .22's. They may put you on one end of the firing line though because so many folks these days are "rattled" by the report of a .30 caliber battle rifle.

Once you get the fundamentals well in hand, you'll find the more advanced classes are easier to "get something out off." One of the Appleseed instructors from west Texas (several years back) told me that what he learned in Appleseed helped him with his "run and gun" type classes/competitions, but the stuff he learned in them did not help him at Appleseeds.

Appleseed is a foundation. Tough to build a good solid structure without a good foundation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah! Thanks. I saw the article in this months NRA magazine on the Magpul class.

will check them both out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Or you can just do what "SOME" of us did, join the military as an Infantryman(Grunt)......Easy speasy lemon squeasy.......that's if you truly want to learn.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts