M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know around what serial number SAI stop putting chrome lined barrels on their m1a rifles?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Do you mean when the stopped using GI surplus M14 barrels?

My M1A is just over 10000 (over 30 years old) and it does not have a chrome lined barrel. I'd say that's because it came from the factory with a commercial NM barrel on it (though it is not a match rifle).

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
M1A Barrels

Springfield Armory, Inc. has mixed GI chrome lined barrels and commercial non-chromed barrels throughout their production. They also produced NM rifles with GI non-chromed NM barrels. It's a case of they used what was available at the time. I'm reasonably sure that SAI didn't use commercial barrels during Texas production and probably early Illinois production. There doesn't seem to be any record of when the first non-chromed commercial standard barrels were started.

·
Registered
342 Posts
barrel

My M1A is just over 10000 (over 30 years old) and it does not have a chrome lined barrel. I'd say that's because it came from the factory with a commercial NM barrel on it (though it is not a match rifle).
-
my older m1a has a serial number of 0111xx and it has no markings on the barrel at all but nm and it was researched here on the forum as a wilson arms commercial standard profile non chromed lined barrel. shoots the lights out with 155g ballistic tips on top of 41.5 grains of imr 4895.
bhk308

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I'm reasonably sure that SAI didn't use commercial barrels during Texas production and probably early Illinois production.
He is absolutely correct. Many today do not have any idea of the early days. There were no commercial varieties in competition and the prices of M14 parts was so low at gun shows, it was unbelievable. Circa 1973/74 I tried to sell to Texas several hundred M14 slotted hand guards, brand new in the box for 10 cents each. The offer was turned down because the average payment price was less than 5 cents.

I was able to purchase Garand barrels, brand new, at around $ 30.00 - 39.00 retail, so I guess the M14 barrels were in the $10-15 price range. I do not recall.

Those M14 prices were very cheap, even though the dollar was worth a lot more.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have one that I bought new June 2000, it has an HR chrome barrel made 7/61. So it looks like you got what was at hand during build. Lucky me!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive heard that SAI stop the chrome barrels around 2002.....150xxx serial number give or take.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i actually have a 2008 dated standard M1A (225xxx) and it came with a GI match trigger, NM sights and a chrome barrel. who knows what the people at Springfield are doing over there. GITEN

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I'd suspect SAI still has a few USGI barrels, but if you've looked at a new "Standard" M1A made in the last year or two it'll have a commercially-made chrome moly barrel with an unusual contour midway between the old Wilson standard weight NM CM barrel and the current stainless NM barrel. So I'd guesstimate beginning around SN 230K-235K, better check it in person if you're expecting a GI barrel.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
There doesn't seem to be any record of when the first non-chromed commercial standard barrels were started.
From M14 Rifle History and Development:

"In the August 01, 1975 issue of Shotgun News, two M1A models were available, Standard and Match. At about this time, the Super Match M1A was introduced in the August and October 1975 issues of American Rifleman. These first Super Match M1A rifles had Shilen eight groove 1:12 twist molybdenum-chromium alloy steel barrels. These barrels weighed 1 pound 4 ounces more than a USGI NM barrel. "

·
Registered
9,465 Posts

From M14 Rifle History and Development:

"During times of scarcity, such as 1978 to 1986 and beginning January 2004 (by serial number 161920), Springfield Armory, Inc. installed commercial manufacture non-plated standard contour barrels instead. Wilson Arms supplied the commercial standard contour barrel blanks until at least 2005. Subsequently, Dasan Machinieries Co., Ltd. has manufactured standard contour M1A barrels. In the past, Hillside Manufacturing did the barrel machining on Wilson Arms barrel blanks. Today, Springfield Armory, Inc. buys the barrel blanks from suppliers then performs the finish machining of the barrels itself. After January 2004, a few Standard M1A rifles were assembled with USGI chromium plated barrels."

·
Registered
975 Posts
I believe 1986 was the year that surplus USGI M-14 parts were allowed to be imported from other countries. Before that time the only USGI parts available were whatever was already in the country. A short time later (a year or two later) Springfield came out with a standard model that was called "2nd Generation" . These were built with all USGI parts except the barrels which were new, standard weight commercial barrels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts