M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying another M1A. I'm looking at a Scout and the price for a new Springfield is $1,400.00 + tax at a shop near by. Does the scope mount come off easily and will a standard hand guard fit?

I all ready have a N/M and a Loaded, both in s/s . Just looking for something to mount a scope on the receiver and shoot the pi$$ out of, use as a truck gun, ect, ect... What do you think?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sounds like a fine plan. The scout mount comes off easily, and a standard handguard will fit. Post some pics when you get set up:)

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
m14nm, what you're wanting is a Springfield "Bush" model. It's the same as a Scout but doesn't have the scope mount and does have the regular hand guard. Springfield quit making them but they show up on the PX fairly often. Wish you luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Scout Mount Removal

I just removed my forward Scout scope mount last weekend. I also put on a new hand guard. It came off easy. One thing I did was scribe a small center line on the barrel and onto the mount before removal. In case I put this back I wanted to have a starting point. Also, there are 2 counter sunk leveling screws on the top of the mount that were adjusted at the factory. I wouldn't mess with those. Anyway, I like the look a lot better.

The handguard was purchased new (fiberglass) from Fulton Armory for about $20. Very inexpensive project.

BTW, the Scout mount itself seemed too lightweight and kinda cheapish in my hand. I never mounted anything to it so I don't know if the heat transfer was a problem, it is certainly an alloy of some kind.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks. If I bring one home I will post some pictures.

Also, got another standard in the works. Its an Armscorp receiver with SA G.I. parts and a new SAK barrel. Should (maybe) bring it home today. Stock isn't the nicest though.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Stocks can be refinished or replaced easily enough. Hope the deal goes through for you.

·
Registered
637 Posts
This started out as an M1A Scout. I removed the scout handguard and mount and installed a vented USGI handguard, shimmed the gas cylinder, installed USGI bolt internals, fitted an ARMS 18 mount, and did a custom paint job.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
you can get a scout for a good price if you keep your eyes peeled. i got a '99 model for 1,200 on GB. only had about 400rds down the tube.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My Scout is one of my favorite long guns. I'd like to have a Bush too. Mine is original except for a USGI stock. I've never mounted an optic on it and won't until my eyes get worse.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
...One thing I did was scribe a small center line on the barrel and onto the mount before removal. In case I put this back I wanted to have a starting point. Also, there are 2 counter sunk leveling screws on the top of the mount that were adjusted at the factory...
If you mean the two little set screws with pointed ends that stick out (or should stick out) the inside of the mount that rests on the barrel, they probably created two small dimples in the barrel that can also serve to get the mount's positioning correct if you reinstall (assuming it was on right in the first place). I don't think they were meant for leveling; rather, screwing the points into the barrel would resist any rotation of the mount around the barrel under impact.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm thinking of adding a scout too, are the stocks the same on a scout and a std M1A?
SAI sells a variety of M1A's with a variety of stocks. Even the Scout comes in four different stock styles, though three of them may be just different colors on the same synthetic stock. If you're asking whether barreled actions and stocks can be swapped around, the answer is a qualified yes. As long as the receiver isn't rear or double lugged, the action should fit in any of the standard stocks. But drop-in and proper fit aren't the same thing. Also, if the stock is bedded for one action, another may fit but not be correctly set up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts