M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an Aimpoint (2x) on the front end of my M1A Scout and while it is/was a great sight, I didn't like the two power magnification in the "scout" or forward position. So I sold it and picked up an Eotech XPS2.

My use of the gun is for targets out to 100 yards and this rifle and the Eotech are perfect.

Mounted out of the box it was shooting high left but was able to get it zeroed pretty quickly. Was at an indoor range at 22 yards so I zeroed it about one inch low at 22 yards. If anyone has suggestions/comments to where I should be please advise. Your help is more than appreciated (and needed!).

Only hickup was shooting some 150gr Remington MC loads that would not cycle. Would fire and eject but the next round would not feed. Had to manually rack each round (great exercise). Had shot other 150gr loads (like through this rifle before and it ran great. Range Master asked if he could shoot it and he brought out some 168gr Match ammo and it ran through those like a hot knive through a tub of Parkay. Still have three more boxes of the Remington ammo to burn through, but I could use the exercise.

With my (2x) Aimpoint that I previously had on this rifle, I was able to shoot MOA accuracy so as expected, this rifle with the Eotech was printing five shot clusters at this short range.

Again, any suggestions or comments are always welcome. Thanks! Ron

·
Registered
465 Posts
I used to have a Leopold FX 2.5 x28 Scout scope on my used to have SOCOM16. It was great for shooting at 50 yards and past 200 yards with both eyes open. You'd get pretty tight groups at those distances. My limit was 400 yards with the rounds hitting all over the 10x10 inch steel target but no bulls eye at that distance.

Here's an old pic:

BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have the 512 on my SOCOM. Good set up I beleive.

For a 100 yard zero shooting 150gr, POI around .7 or .8 mil low @25 yards.

I have shot 200 rounds of RemMC 150gr out my SOCOM16 and every one went pop. I do beleive it has poor accuracy / consistency though, box to box and lot to lot.

For cycling issues, I always try different ammo; different box, lot or manufacture and magazine. More than that with M14, I leave that to the M14 experts.

How do you shooters with optics on M14s get a cheek weld for consistency and accuracy without a riser?

·
Registered
10,644 Posts
I have a scope on both my loaded model and my SOCOM 16, both have stock risers. I have never found a way to get really good consistency without the risers. With the SOCOM I use an Ultimak M8 rail and a Nikon Encore scope; I can shoot it without a riser but not as accurately as with one. With the loaded I can't even get a view through the scope without a riser.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Islandermyk, what picatinny do you have there at the 6 o'clok? I am looking for something without getting the cluster rail type setup.
It's a cheap one from UTG Tri rail
http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-utg-m14-6-point-locking-tactical-metal-handguard-rails-with-31-top-slots-mnt.html
Thought for the price... what the hell lets try it out. I had a Green laser, tactical flash light, and the Leupold mounted on that thing... it was pretty cool, but a bitch to clean ICONLOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the 512 on my SOCOM. Good set up I beleive.

For a 100 yard zero shooting 150gr, POI around .7 or .8 mil low @25 yards.

I have shot 200 rounds of RemMC 150gr out my SOCOM16 and every one went pop. I do beleive it has poor accuracy / consistency though, box to box and lot to lot.

For cycling issues, I always try different ammo; different box, lot or manufacture and magazine. More than that with M14, I leave that to the M14 experts.

How do you shooters with optics on M14s get a cheek weld for consistency and accuracy without a riser?

As to the cheek weld, with a scope or iron sights I tend look or tilt my head down through the scope or sights to get a good cheek weld. With this Eotech, I tend to position my head more upright and look straight ahead and I can get a good cheek weld. Key here is that I have a really big head.

Thanks for the sighting in and ammo advice. I will raise my POA about a half inch when I head back this week. As to the Rem 150gr MC ammo, every round fired and ejected and accuracy (albeit I was in rock throwing range) was fine but did not have the energy to take the bolt all the way back. The GOOD thing about knowing that this ammo will not cycle is for when I take my 17 year old son to the range. He gets the jones to see how fast he can squeeze off a mag of ammo at his father's expense. I will just give him a box of this to enjoy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.