M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;

My new walnut M1A Scout is shooting high by almost a foot at 100yds. Tried at 50yds before my friend brought his spotting scope and it wasn't even on paper. All shooting done at benchrest with a sandbag for support.

Rear sight is bottomed out, as is the elevation on my Leatherwood/Hi-Lux LER27X32BDC, so I think I ruled out having the wrong front sight. I've been shooting 147gr .308 from Freedom Munitions and ZQI 7.62mm NATO from Wally World; both give the same effect. I heard something about a bent/warped barrel, or something about the receiver being crooked, and now I'm horrified; I already had to send her back once to SAI to get the stock replaced (damaged in transit).

At this point I've spent about $2K on the gun, ammo, and glass, and I'm starting to get fed up. Any help would be much appreciated; I really, really want to love this rifle (My uncle has an M1A standard that really turned me on to M14s), but it's driving me insane. Should I talk to a gunsmith? Just send it back to SAI again and wait another month?

Also, apologies if anything seems off; this is my first rifle and I can't say I'm too knowledgeable about this kind of thing.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Are you saying that you can use the sights with the optic mounted?

What mount are you using?

If so then are you able to actually use both the rear and front sight or are you using some hole in the mount as a rear peep sight?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I say talk to SAI.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking...

Are you saying that you can use the sights with the optic mounted?

What mount are you using?

If so then are you able to actually use both the rear and front sight or are you using some hole in the mount as a rear peep sight?
Sorry for not clarifying; I'm using Leupold quick release scope rings, so I managed to do both irons and scoped on one trip. I disengaged the optic when I was using the iron sights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The scout mount can be adjusted. I had w windage problem with mine. Loosen the screws and level it then tighten them up. There's 4 screws on the sides that clamp the mount to the barrel and two on the top that you can level it with.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If the stock was damaged in transit, it is possible that something else was too. Perhaps the barrel is bent/misaligned. It sucks because you expect a new rifle to be perfect right out of the box, but unfortunately it often takes alot of time and $$$ to make them right. I would send it back to SAI for inspection. Good luck.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I had the same problem with a M1A bush rifle about 20 years ago. Called springfield and they sent me a taller front sight. Cured the problem. It was shooting a beautiful group, but 8 inches high with the sights all the way down at 100 yard.

·
Registered
826 Posts
That wouldn't account for why the OP's rifle is shooting so high with the scope mounted on the scout rail though. I could understand the problem with his irons if SAI sent his rifle out with the standard height front sight instead of the taller one.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I have chopped dozens of M14 barrels down to build 18.5" shorties Usually ( but not always) the shorter barrels require a taller front sight. About 1/10" taller. The factory built Chinese/ Canadian import M14 shorties come with a super tall front sight. With this model, the blade actually is taller than the protective ears. FUGLY ...
but it works.

When we designed the M14.CA combination short compensator and clamp on front sight base, we made the sight base taller so the standard height front sight post from.a 22" barrel could be used. But be aware, shooting an M14 with an effective compensator or muzzle brake may also effect POI significantly from some shooting positions.
The compensated rifles will tend to shoot lower with the same sight settings, especially if shot from standing/unsupported.

You can also trim a bit off the tail of the rear sight to get it down a bit lower, but for some people setting the rear sight lower is not a fix due to the shape of their face or neck. They can't get any lower on the comb of the stock.

BTDT a few times.
With one shorty build, with the user demanding a 100 yd zero with iron sights, and also wanting plenty of extra rear sight vertical adjustment below zero for different loads, swapping in a different barrel cured it.

Like I said, some times ( but not always) the shorty builds absolutely needed a taller front sight AND a shorter rear sight leg to get a oerfect 100 yd zero. And I never knew for sure how a shorty would shoot for elevation until it was range tested. Just one of the many "magic moments" encountered when working on M14s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts