M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a M1A Scout..I figure this rifle will never see more than 6000 rounds ever prob....I will use it as a duty carry rifle. I didn't really want to have to put GI parts in it per say, but i also want a AK reliable rifle....I've read that i can change to a GI extractor. with this done what benefit would i have to going with a GI bolt,op rod or trigger system?? Ive thought about doing this, but the 600 or 700 cost seems like it be better spent on ammo??? thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new rifle.

First, shoot what you have with known quality, good ammo. Far more SAI rifles shoot fine than not. The probability is what you are holding will shoot thousands of rounds without issue.

If you experiance spotty feeding and extraction issues, yes, go ahead and replace the extractor. There is certainly no need to start replacing major components just for grins. You certainly don't want to refit, THEN have an issue, as SAI may balk on the warranty, and I wouldn't blame them.

Many of us have fired tens of thousands of rounds using SAIs commecial parts, without failure. I assure you, the expensive addition of said USGI parts will not make your winky any bigger either....GI2

WARNING TO PROSPECTIVE POSTERS. THIS WILL NOT BECOME AN SAI RELIABILITY/QUALITY CONTROL THREAD. PERIOD.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle irtsniper! Welcome to the forum. We can always use another Southerner!

You sound like me for wanting reliability. I changed the extractor to USGI, installed a Sadlak op rod spring guide and purchased CMI magazines. I wouldn't think of buying any other parts for now. I use Winchester Q3130 or USA3081 ammo. Made sure it was cleaned and greased. Rifle runs like a sewing machine! When I'm out back and may run up on a wild boar this is the rifle I have with me. I wouldn't hesitate to put it in a patrol car, you may run into something uglier than a hog! GI2

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The M1A variants are very reliable as long as everything works according to it's design. The rifle is sort of like electronic stuff, if it lasts for more than a month or two when you first start using it then it will last a long time, if you are going to have problems then they will show up pretty quickly and then I would take advantage of the really good warranty coverage that Springfield has. There is no reason to change parts due to any known issue as far as I am concerned, especially if you will be using it as a duty weapon.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just for some inexpensive peace of mind I replaced the extractor, hammer and trigger on my SOCOM with GI parts. I bought the hammer and trigger from R A Parts, and sent them off with my old assembly and had them installed with a trigger job. 18.00 for the trigger, 35.00 for the hammer, 39.00 for the install and trigger job(shipped), 29.00 for the extractor (shipped). If the rifle doesn't exhibit any signs of trouble now, I can't see one of the major components being an issue later on. Just shoot it !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just start with the extractor. The trigger group MAY be the only other thing that needs swapped, as I've heard of a few more hammers shearing lately. My Scout's a little over 8yrs. old, and came with a great trigger (SAInc.), I did replace the extractor. 5-6K(maybe more) rounds later, she's still chugging along reliably & accurately.

Sam

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Just for some inexpensive peace of mind I replaced the extractor, hammer and trigger on my SOCOM with GI parts. I bought the hammer and trigger from R A Parts, and sent them off with my old assembly and had them installed with a trigger job. 18.00 for the trigger, 35.00 for the hammer, 39.00 for the install and trigger job(shipped), 29.00 for the extractor (shipped). If the rifle doesn't exhibit any signs of trouble now, I can't see one of the major components being an issue later on. Just shoot it !
Seasoldier beat me to the recomendation. He has it absolutely correct in my opinion. The extractor, hammer and trigger would be the most likely problems. All very cheap to upgrade for peace of mind.

The extractor and hammer have had known issues in the past and the trigger just makes good sense when installing a GI hammer.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

That just about sums it up.BEERCHUG1
+3

A Scout's trigger is already finessed. Only reason to swap to a GI extractor would be if you're having problems or in my case, installing an ARMS 18 scope mount. Heard the GI extractor would sling brass lower and it does sling it. My factory extractor never gave a problem otherwise. I say shoot it and enjoy the ride. Clean it and grease it! BIGTHUMPUP

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Just an FYI, you can substitute a Garand hammer in your trigger group. They cost less than an USGI M14 hammer too.

Now get out there and shoot it!

·
Registered
637 Posts
scout

I had problems with my Scout right out of the box, but Springfield took care of it quickly and even swapped out stocks as I requested for the hassle. Since the warranty work I haven't had one hiccup and my rifle is incredibly accurate for open sights. I am using a new style full rail ARMS 18 scope mount with the commercial extractor and haven't had any problems in the couple hundred rounds since installing it. I did go ahead and order USGI internal components for my bolt to cover my butt so to speak. This is my SHTF rifle and if I ever do experience FTE problems I wanted the GI parts on hand, but until then, if it works don't fix it!

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
shoot it till it breaksGITEN betcha you'll put more than 6K through it...FRG1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys thanks for all the info!! I do get issued ammo. I think federal tru ammo. This scout came from a friends pawn shop where they sold it new. I only paid a 1000 for it. it was traded back in on a R25..the round count he says was less than 300 rounds.I ordered 10 CMI mags. it came with 5 national magazine sku??????an a bassett scope mount.but the mount only screws into the side an not does not replace stripper clip guide. so unsure if its worth using......I shot it today 20 rounds worth, 50 yards on a Q target. all in the head area. all was prob 3 moa right where i aimed...Im trying hard not to let it be my favorite rifle..cause my SIG 516 is!!!!!!

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
What's a Sig 516? GI2

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
How many rounds in it so far?

I always run at least a couple of hundred rounds through a weapon before I pronounce it GTG. To me, it seems semi-auto anything takes a little while to wear in. No sense in changing pieces parts out before you give them a chance to get broken in. Chances are it will run fine for 1000's of rounds.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You got a good deal and a good rifle. Shoot it, a lot, clean and grease it and you should be good to go.

Oh, and for that useless Bassett mount, you can forward it to me.

He, he. GI2

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha the Sig AR so far been a great AR15....clean it in half the time as others...but sure aint no 308 round tho......The bassett mount has surprised me with the good reviews. did a search on it..wow..I think the rifle had 300 or less rounds thru it when i got it......the owner couldn't remember. He happen to be in the day I bought it. he went to his truck gave the the other 5 mags and a bassett scope mount. and a utg front rail...real nice guy...He had the R25 bug..I think Id kept them both tho!!!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I just bought a M1A Scout..I figure this rifle will never see more than 6000 rounds ever prob....I will use it as a duty carry rifle. I didn't really want to have to put GI parts in it per say, but i also want a AK reliable rifle....I've read that i can change to a GI extractor. with this done what benefit would i have to going with a GI bolt,op rod or trigger system?? Ive thought about doing this, but the 600 or 700 cost seems like it be better spent on ammo??? thanks for any help.
As a duty carry rifle, I would also replace the extractor, hammer, trigger, and would also replace the op rod for a GI unit also. I would only use CMI mags or like new GI mags. I would shim the gas system too. This is a duty gun and not a range gun like most of us own. Be safe and enjoy your rifle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
RE: Bassett scope mount, there have been several threads on this board about them and I dont recall anything but praise being posted. You could try doing a search to get all the feedback. .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts