M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,021 Posts
I had a Mini-14 and I liked it, but I sold it to to eliminate the extra caliber and mags.
m14brian

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I have a stainless LE mini that came from Ruger in a Clyde's/Sage chassis. I do like it and and for a c/q or short range tool it is great, but I mainly got it just to enjoy and get some cheaper trigger time. If things really got nasty, I would rather have one of my m14s on my shoulder. I have been playing with the idea of getting a mini-30 too, but one more caliber and set of mags to stock is why I have not done so, and probably will not unless I come across a very good package deal. I consider my mini a "toy" for just some shooting fun and enjoyment, and my m14 a "tool", but I can also enjoy my m14 as a source of fun too though.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
When I first got my M1A, my best shooting buddy had a Mini-14. I could tell he envied it every time we went shooting. I'd prefer an AR-15 for .223 , but I liked that Ruger.

I don't plan on acquiring either, though. The only companion I'd get for my M1A is another M1A.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I have one in a Ruger folding stock. The sling I have on it allows it to be carried over the shoulder, hanging down my backside. With a mid length coat on it is impossible to see. Other than that I have very little use for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my mini 14 for close to 20 years it's a great rifle and an m1a scout for nearly a year, it's a great rifle too. Uncle Sam introduced me to the M 14 more than 40 years ago (damn, long time ago). I liked it then and I really like it now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a ruger mini-14, it looks much more like the M1 Carbine than the M14 that it was supposed to be... Instead, I now just have two M1A loaded models in Walnut, a much better choice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This was while I was building it up to look like the M14 it was supposed to be. This is before the M14 Flash hider was installed:

This is with the flash hider installed:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yep. While I agree to a point with the above sentiments wondering why you need a Mini-14 when you have an M14-style rifle, it is hard to totally dismiss them. One never knows when having a 5.56X45 will come in handy, if for no other reason than ammo scrounging.

SyxTnynE - I like what you did with your Mini!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Someone to lookup to

Not to be obtuse, but I don't get it.

If I have a M1a Scout, why would I ever need a Mini 14? And wouldn't it just depress the Ruger, cowering there in the shadow of what it could have been?
My scout could be his hero, mentor, plus much easier for the kids to learn with once they get used to the 10/22s.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Yup, Mini-14 was the first center fire rifle I purchased. 183 series, early 1980s IIRC. I KNEW one day it would grow up into an M14; took more years than I thought, but in 1995 it did.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Just recently bought a Ruger Mini 14 Stainless Factory Folder, 185 series/1986 vintage and always like them due to handiness, ease of carry, etc. Understand the installing of one of those "struts" on the Mini helps some on accuracy especially with hot barrel?? and it does resemble a 14 to some degree. Thought about shortening the barrel a bit but the rifle is only 27" in length with stock folded and not sure what the legal minimum length is on so called long guns. I definitely will check this out before any shortening takes place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts