M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year I picked up a Police trade in "Bush" for cheap.

As I was shimming and upgrading to some necessary USGI parts, I put some time into thinking through what I wanted to do with it.

When those M14 E2 stocks hit the market last year I picked up a blem for cheap (er than I ever thought I’d find one).

I tried the E2 stock on my scoped, full length rifle and found that from prone or at the bench I was not able to break the shot as well as a standard stock. I struggled because my finger was in just a different enough position that it did not feel right.

Then I throw that same M14 E2 stock on the M1A Bush that I intend to shoot primarily off hand at intermediate targets with a little more speed involved. In this role it is working great. I don’t notice or feel like my finger is out of position. The P grip gives much more control in unsupported mag changes and moving quicker from target to target.

Because it’s and E2 and I had a vented handguard I had to use it. I used the RTV black Silicone method of floating and supporting the ventilated handguard. That’s a blob under the rear clip, a blob on the Op rod guide and a schmear inside the front band as well. I must say that was a huge improvement in fit. When I mocked it up it with no silicone it was all loose and floppy but re-assembled with the silicone set up, it turned out really firm and well supported in three spots. I might not even break it.

;

Using the holes for the E2 front grip I mounted a short rail and stubby grip. Just enough to grab onto.

I wanted a red dot on this gun and I wanted it low. So I decided on this course of action. Vortex Sparc on a Pro Mag split rail M14 mount ( ARMS 18 knock off ). Because I was only using the front part of the rail to mount the Sparc I was not concerned with how good or bad its mechanical alignment was. Only the stability of the front rail. A real ARMS mount was not 100% necessary so I went with the split rail features on a cheap mount. The attachment and adjustment hardware is soft like butter, so go slow and use the right sized phillister head drivers.

I added a JP Ent 1” Delta P brake from the last group buy and got it sighted in last month ( the brake is not pictured). Hot Damn. No muzzle rise whatsoever. Between the brake and the E2 stock there is excellent control tracking for fast target changes. I was busting clays at 50 yards at nearly 1 second intervals.

This came out great if I do say so myself.

JR

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Very nice. I love the vented handguards look great.
I feel like the dot needs to be closer than the scout mount allows and that is an excellent solution.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Now that is just SWEET, E2's always cool but not my thing…until now. A really nice set up that will keep me awake all night. Thanks, I think.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Very nice. I love the vented handguards look great.
I feel like the dot needs to be closer than the scout mount allows and that is an excellent solution.
Thanks. I agree about the scout mount. It's too far forward for me too. This mount is not very expensive and it gets you one rail position low on the receiver bridge ( not low enough for a co-witness). Having a split rail for low mounting is key. Actual ARMS split rails are too hard to find to waste on a red dot. Save those for a scope.

Other Micro dots would fit here as well.

JR

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice. Those short barreled actions look really good in an E2 stock. That winter safety looks like it would be quicker to operate than the standard safety. What sling is on it?
LJ, Good eye on the winter safety. I put that on when I was putting U.S.G.I. trigger parts in.
It's so much faster and easier to manipulate than the standard one. It's an easy upgrade to me.

The sling is an IDF sling from www.zahal.org . I put loop on the rail in front of the fore grip.

JR

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hi Rotor,

Congratulations on the nice setup. Nice job; I really like your configuration. I too am an E2 fan and fellow Illinois resident.

Here is a pic of my setup. I can see you and I have similar taste in rifles. Not trying to show off or hijack your post in any way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you seen the black feather scope mount from m14.ca? It will put your red dot further back, if you don't mind removing your rear sight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Outdoor Forums mobile app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.