M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys first post here. Name's Bob. i have a m1a scout squad in walnut 2008 model if it matters. owned it for about 2 years now, and after about 1000rds of handloads, several different "setups" this gun has been through, im thinking this current one is the set up im going for. a hunting rifle that can fill many functions.

M1a Scout Squad
scope mount: A.R.M.S 18
scope rings: Weaver 6hole tactical (med height)
scope: Redfield Revolution 2-7x33

my question is: is the scope too low?

the rear clears the rear iron sight aperture (if the sight is dialed all the way down. the spacing is just a hair. see pic. the magnification dial functions ok. the lock ring for the focus will touch the sight if screwed forward. but its locked back for my focus setting.

the front seems to have a slight co witness of the front sight. but does not effect sight picture. is that acceptable?

probably get a solid cheek riser soon.

i have yet to shoot the gun after installing new rings and scope. im worried that rear sight proximity to the scope could pose an issue. but if i torqued everything down to spec then it should not move? maybe flex? has anyone ever done something similar to this? would you shoot this weapon?

also thinking of removing the irons.

or maybe suggest a solution.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Since you are going to get a cheek riser, maybe go with next higher scope rings. Quick disconnect rings would enhance adaptability.
Front sight co-witness wouldn't bother me.
For a multi use firearm, I would never remove iron sights.

·
Registered
697 Posts
"As low as it can go, without touching"
Looks perfect to me.
Good luck with those Weaver rings. Twice I found the cross bolts lying in the safe broken when I had those same Weavers. Went with Vortex rings after that.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Personally I would go lower. As low as you can go without touching the handguard and still be able to have caps on.

But there is an advantage to staying a bit higher as you have when you want to move a good scope around from multiple M1a/14/21/25’s that have different mount heights.

It’s not always ideal to move scopes around but tying up money in multiple high end scopes isn’t either.
Once you have a good one, looking thru the others is like watching an old tube tv vs high def.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
A negative for the M14 rifle is that normally the scope is so high above the bore that a cheek rest is almost mandatory for good optics use. As mentioned, the lower the better for it is far more natural to use than a scope some 3-4" above the comb of the stock.
As some would say "it is an un natural act..." In effort of full disclosure, I am not a fan of optics and definitely would not remove the finest sight system ever for a military rifle. With surprisingly little practice, you can become quite skilled with issue sights for shots out to an including 600yds. In a years time, how many of us shoot at targets beyond 600yds other than those of us who are addicted to match shooting. Not many I would guess.

·
Registered
621 Posts
There's no such thing as too low, IMO. There's all kinds of too highs though.
Agreed, for any scoped rifle. As long as 1- the scope doesn't contact the rear sight and you can get the proper eye relief, 2- it's high enough that ejected brass doesn't hit it, you're in the right spot. It's going to be high enough to require a raised cheek rest for proper sighting, but that is the nature of the M1A/M14 beast.

I do agree with Instructor, though, it's almost a shame to scope a rifle with such a great set of standard sights. I never could hit much past 300 yards using mine, so I added a scope. More an issue with my eyesight than the rifle, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys. im going to work some load development next. seems to me a lighter bullet up to 155gr works best with this rifle. the 168gr does not shoot well at all. im going to try 175gr next to see if that changes anything.

i live in California, so hunting ammo needs to be lead free. once i find the right bullet weight, im going to buy the same weight in copper to work a load for hunting.

for hog hunting, does anyone have a tried and trusted projectile for recommendation? im also assuming the reloading process is same for non lead?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Here I thought Ray Bradbury called it "Fahrenheit 451". Regardless, Good to have you with us and your scope is just right. Go out and shoot.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I agree, low is good , you want to get as close to the Bore as possible & I also like to see the Irons Sights with out removing the Scope , I have an ARMS18 on my 18.5" Barreled GWLA Receiver , both it & my SOCOM seem to like the 155's a little better then the heavier Bullets for some reason .

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I had almost the same set up. Arms 18 split rail and low rings. 80% jam rate because of how low the set up was. No matter what I did it still jammed. I took the mount off.

·
Registered
312 Posts
thanks guys. im going to work some load development next. seems to me a lighter bullet up to 155gr works best with this rifle. the 168gr does not shoot well at all. im going to try 175gr next to see if that changes anything.

i live in California, so hunting ammo needs to be lead free. once i find the right bullet weight, im going to buy the same weight in copper to work a load for hunting.

for hog hunting, does anyone have a tried and trusted projectile for recommendation? im also assuming the reloading process is same for non lead?

You might want to rething going with the same weight bullet lead/copper. A copper bullet will be much longer and creates different pressures than lead. Also pay attention to the twist requirements of copper bullets. I believe you will just have to start load development from the beginning with copper.

Good Luck

Jerry

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mounting as low as possible is the way I go on all of my rifles

Disassembling and removing the rear sight on your scout is an option that will give you the flexibility needed to mount your scope where it needs to be to fit you.

I've found cheek rests to be mandatory for scope-mounted M-1As. I use pipe insulation foam atop my stocks and am happy with it.

FYI, I've had scope rings interfere with ejected cases while shooting my LRB. Resolved the problem with an adjustable gas plug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay guys thanks for all the tips and advice. after shooting, and trying to develope my handloads im able to get 1moa groups shooting 100yds. and 168 gr hornady bthp. very happy camper with this setup.

next step was to develop hunting loads. i chose 150gr nosler etip. all copper. sorry, i live in cali and we have to use non lead. was anle to get same size groupings, but with considerably less powder, as this bullet takes up a lot of space. so i told myself im not going to take a shot at anything over 100yds.

fast forward to my hunting trip. my first mammal hunt, and it was a success. stalked the boar down a hill for about 150yds before i took a shot at 36yds. crouching, utilizing knee and military sling for stability. one shot in throat and went down right away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts