M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Springfield M1A Loaded with walnut stock and I was wonder what a really good scope mount would be. I've seen the steel and aluminum ones on the Springfield website but was wondering if these are good or there might be some better.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
ARMS #18 mount with ARMS #22 rings or a Bassett low picatinny model are the predominate choices .
The ARMS #18 is the absolute lowest mount & with the ARMS #22 rings you can remove the scope by flipping 2 levers and use your open sights without any restrictions and then remount your scope and stay within 1/2 MOA.
Or a Bassett low picatinny you can remove the entire mount rings and scope with just one bolt and remounts them within a 1/2 " MOA. The Bassett is more forgiving for out of spec receivers.
So's you pays your $$$ and make your choices. Both are great systems.
There are lots of other mounts out there, almost all of them will sit higher . I like my scopes to be mounted as low as possible but that decision is yours alone.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
My research has me going with the Bassett for ease of on/off. I've done most of my M1A shooting with irons but sammichmaker prefers a scope. The Bassett is a great compromise. If it gets her out shooting more, which means I get out shooting more, how can I not get one?

Your needs may be different, so spend some time with the search box and with all the knowledge here, you can't make a bad decision.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Word search scope mounts. Tons of info. Bassett. Nuff said.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I've used a variety over the years;

SAI Gen 1
SAI Gen 3
SAI Gen 4
IDF in both 26mm and 1"
AWC/Griffin Howe
Fulton Armory steel mount (Appears to be a Sadlak clone but it's A-OK)
Bassett.

The Bassett mount is great and the IDF mounts work well too.

I like the IDF mounts because they are all steel, single point, have a ratcheting knob that doesn't shoot loose, and the rings are integral.

What else is there to say about the Bassett mounts....They're top notch.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a sadlak airborne mount. I really like the mount, but two issues I didn't expect. I got a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16 scope with 50mm Objective Lens. The rings sit high enough to use the iron sights, but the objective lens blocks it. I don't want to sit higher, as I prefer low bore alignment. I considered a Larue QD rings, but those are incompatible with the Sadlak Mount. I prefer a 1 piece QD Ring setup, rather than two separate rings. I don't mind two rings for a permanent mounting solution. I've decided to scrap the iron sight use for now, and will figure out a solution later. Something to consider.

·
Premium Member
7,987 Posts
For those who only have one M14 and switch out the scope depending on type of shooting the ARMS 18 or Basset mounts seem like the obvious choice, but if you are lucky enough to have a scope dedicated M14 the real choices are the Brookfield and Sadlak mounts as they are top shelf.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts